NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hd with a cable box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I am planning to switch to HD Tv later this year. I must use a setup box. Is there any tuner card/capture device that can accept input in HD (through HDMI or component cable) that works with GBPvr?

Thanks!
anarethos Wrote:Hi!

I am planning to switch to HD Tv later this year. I must use a setup box. Is there any tuner card/capture device that can accept input in HD (through HDMI or component cable) that works with GBPvr?

Thanks!

There are no capture cards that accept component or HDMI input. However, you may be able to capture video over a firewire connection. Take a look at this thread for more information.

Regards,
HTPCGB
Already heard about this, but thanks anyway for the info.

Is there any known plan to alow HD capture in a near future?
Quote:Is there any known plan to alow HD capture in a near future?
You'd have to ask the hardware manufacturers that one.
I know that exist capture card that allow capture of free satelite signal in HD. Is there any capture card that allow me to uncompress/decode/decrypt the HD signal from a cable distributor? (Videotron, here in Montreal).

Thanks!
Quote:Is there any capture card that allow me to uncompress/decode/decrypt the HD signal from a cable distributor?
You can use the OnAir GT or HDHomeRun for unencrypted cable, but I'm not aware of any options for the encrypted cable used in the US or Canada.
Black Magic

Check out their DeckLink HD Studio but it has a US $995 price tag. Also, you will probably be limited to using the component input because there is sure to be a flag to prevent you from capturing through the HDMI. This means that you will be recording uncompressed HD (I hope you have LOTS of space on REALLY fast drives).

I second the OnAir / HDHomeRun option. Stick with the unencrypted QAM.

Edit: Also don't know if the DeckLink card will work with GB-PVR (or any pvr software for that matter). It's really made for editing.