NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Wake On LAN - Ready For Some!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Happy New Year Everyone!,

I had a spare afternoon today so thought i might write some software.

I have a home network setup with two mvp's, a file server and a media center pc which acts as the mvp's server. Being the lazy person I am I hate having to walk downstairs to start the media center pc before being able to use the mvp's upstairs. As WOL for the MVP seems impossible at the moment I thought I'd try to write something to run on the file server which is powered on all the time.

My MVP sends a udp broadcast packet when it wakes up from standby - presumably trying to get hold of its server. I've created a little application that listens for this packet then sends a wake on lan or "magic packet" to the computer of your choice, in my case my media center pc downstairs. The app is written in VB.NET and requires the .Net Framework 2. The server mac address can be entered into the textboxes or stored in MVPWatch.exe.config file - its currently set to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

If anyone finds it useful please let me know!
I got the impression that your solution is similar to this post?
My fileserver and my gbpvr server are the same box, so it's on anyway.
LOL never mind - someone else's already thought of it!
My always-on server runs linux - anyone know of a linux app which could do this listening for a UDB broadcast packet trick? I already use the linux server to WOL the rest of my machines when I need to access remotely but this I have to do by logging into the linux machine. An automatic WOL would be really neat
pgreenland Wrote:LOL never mind - someone else's already thought of it!

It is a logical solution. I must admit that it took me a while to find this one again.
Hi,

there is a beta at shs pvr with that support wol:
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/mediamvp/m...24257b.exe
the dongle inside can be used with gbpvr.

I had tested it and the wol feature seems to be ok on my home pc. unfortunly my mediserver doesnt support wol - so again i have to go walk Sad

Joerg