NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Any information about sound problem with ATI 550 Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm having sound problem, sometimes, when recording with my ATI 550 Pro. The image is good but the soundtrack is like if there was no signal, only noise (sound like pishhh). So I do not think it is a problem of signal quality from the cable, but maybe it is...

I experienced the problem 2 day ago, when I recorded 2 shows back to back on the same channel. The first one was good (image and sound), but the second show had the sound problem.

Before, I had this problem on only one channel, but now I got it on another channel.

Is there other people that are having this kind of problem and did you find a solution to it?
Lajoie Wrote:Hi,

I'm having sound problem, sometimes, when recording with my ATI 550 Pro. The image is good but the soundtrack is like if there was no signal, only noise (sound like pishhh). So I do not think it is a problem of signal quality from the cable, but maybe it is...

I experienced the problem 2 day ago, when I recorded 2 shows back to back on the same channel. The first one was good (image and sound), but the second show had the sound problem.

Before, I had this problem on only one channel, but now I got it on another channel.

Is there other people that are having this kind of problem and did you find a solution to it?

What kind of sound card do you use and what kind of speaker do you use? Is it connected by analogue cable (direct from sound card or on board sound) or to a digital reviewer (connection by only one digital cable)?

What player do you use when this happen? If you only used GBPVR to play these files, then I would suggest you try another player like VLC which have its own set of codec.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You could also use Gspot and drag-drop file to read video file about its sound encoding. You can also use Gspot to see what codec and filters that are installed on your system and look for any red lines which is those that can have some sort of problem to work.
I'm using the onboard chipset of my Asus A8V, which is an ALC850, for the sound.

And even if I used VLC to playback the file, there is still the problem which is like if the sound recorded was the sound of a channel without signal, even if the file information stated "MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 384Kbps [Audio]"

And what's 'Funny' is that the sound level recorded is a lot higher (meaning is at the expected level) when this problem, compared to when there is no problem (everybody having an ATI 550 Pro is aware that the sound level is too low on this card...).

Maybe it is a problem with the 2 latest drivers (never happened before I upgrade)...

Am I the only one with this problem?
Lajoie Wrote:I'm using the onboard chipset of my Asus A8V, which is an ALC850, for the sound.

And even if I used VLC to playback the file, there is still the problem which is like if the sound recorded was the sound of a channel without signal, even if the file information stated "MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 384Kbps [Audio]"

And what's 'Funny' is that the sound level recorded is a lot higher (meaning is at the expected level) when this problem, compared to when there is no problem (everybody having an ATI 550 Pro is aware that the sound level is too low on this card...).

Maybe it is a problem with the 2 latest drivers (never happened before I upgrade)...

Am I the only one with this problem?

I have this Theater 550 Pro myself and I can't say it is a problem with sound being low from the card by itself, but more often from what kind of signal the broadcaster are sending.

My old system had ALC850 and sometimes it could go wrong where sound where suddenly stuck in a extreme high level (=sound like high pitched noise). I had to reboot my system to get back to normal sound on my system. It might be that your drivers are not good. I used nvidias driver as my chipset where from nvidia at that time, and Realteks drivers and can't remember which of these that worked better, but one of these did. I am aware that you have an VIA chipset and you use ALC850, but it might be possible to download chipset driver from nvidias site and only select audio driver when you install or you might just try to remove sound driver completely and use Driver Cleaner Pro (google for it) to clean out every remain on your system and re-install them (realteks driver) again.
I am sure it is not a problem with the sound driver since it happen only with the recording having the problem and not with the other.

Also, I had the ATI 550 Pro for almost 2 years now and the sound problem just started 2 months ago (around the same time I installed driver 6.14.10.199)...
have you tried backing off the new driver?
I havn't upgraded my 550 drivers in a while & I havn't noticed any problems.