NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP with PowerLine Adapter/Wireless Bridge/Gaming Adapter.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get a MVP working successfully using a PowerLine Adapter, Wireless Bridge or Gaming Adapter?. Tried a Zyxel PL-100 and video playback was very erratic, audio o.k., video not o.k., a Wireless Bridge (802.11b admittedly which was not going to function correctly with video Sad ) and a Zoom Wireless Gaming Adapter however the latter doesn't seem to allow for an IP address to be assigned via DHCP (that is unless anyone is aware of a firmware upgrade that allows this).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
For six months or so used to use an MVP with a couple of 85Mbps Homeplug Turbo devices, but when I changed rooms I had all sorts of networking problems - I guess all power sockets arnt the same...
sub Wrote:For six months or so used to use an MVP with a couple of 85Mbps Homeplug Turbo devices, but when I changed rooms I had all sorts of networking problems - I guess all power sockets arnt the same...

Hi Sub, Thank you for your reply. The problems that you've mentioned sound similar to the problems I'd experienced however at a guess you'd managed to get your devices to work satisfactorily if they were up and running for six months. Don't think that these devices like surge protectors being used either but might be wrong.

Was wondering whether there were any particular PowerLine/Homeplug adapters that were recommended for use with an MVP. Perhaps they're reliability is wiring specific.

Thank you Smile.
Quote:Perhaps they're reliability is wiring specific.
Yeah, thats what I put it down to. I was able to get UTP into that room, so I havnt used them since.
I'm currently using a pair of Netgear HDX101's 200mbps that works great with both GBPVR and Sage.

I had problems until the most recent versions of these software suites, and until Netgear released their newest firmware 1.0.1.3 (if memory serves).

Right now, everything is working great. My advice would be to buy from a local retail store so you can test them out on your wiring with the option to return.

-Dan
mdnttoker Wrote:I'm currently using a pair of Netgear HDX101's 200mbps that works great with both GBPVR and Sage.

I had problems until the most recent versions of these software suites, and until Netgear released their newest firmware 1.0.1.3 (if memory serves).

Right now, everything is working great. My advice would be to buy from a local retail store so you can test them out on your wiring with the option to return.

-Dan

Hi Dan, Thank you for your reply. Interesting to hear that you've had some success with using a Powerline Adapter. The 200mbps ones are quite expensive however if they do what it say's on the tin so to speak perhaps they're money well spent. Some resellers allow for customers to try the kit for 7-days as you've said. Good suggestion as opposed to buying from a large e-tailer who do not allow for this.

Kind Regards.
I set up Linksys pair for a friend.

A Linksys WRT54G in the host end, and a WAP54G. Both with quite recent firmwares (bought and setup october/november 2006).

It seems to work quite well (much to my surprise!) even over a fair distance. Tried it at home as well as at his place over distances approaching 20 meters through walls/glass.

It manages to boot fine and get an IP address and then continue the dongle load fairly quickly.It is even set up with security between the two WRT/WAP.

Funny fact Rolleyes : In his PC, that I was setting up with GBPVR at home, there is a wireless adapter. I too have a wireless Linksys network. One evening, I thought my GBPVR setup was messed up big time as I turned my MVP in the living room on, to find only a few recordings available. It turned out that my MVP in the living room had picked up GBPVR on his PC connected wirelessly over my own wired machine!!! Anyway, I managed to playback just fine on my wired MVP from his wirelessly connected GBPVR recordings as well...!

/Niels
I have this setup and I'm very happy with it.
One year now I have four 85Mb Atlantisland PL200 installed and I never had problem since.
I use a Linksys WTG55A (I use 802.11a because I get no interference at all while 802.11g is full of noise and a lot of people around use it) with a Linksys game adapter (that does 802.11a) and it works perfectly.