NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Slow channel change on MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all I think GBPVR is a great program. I tested other software but I preferred GBPVR. So don't get me wrong, but one thing puzzles me: how come channel change on the mvp is slow (4 or 5 seconds) in GBPVR compared to for example sagetv (1 second)?
Does SageTV use it's own dongle, or a standard one like GBPVR does?
Yes, Sagetv is using its own dongle.
I read that the standard Hauppauge dongle.bin is included with 0.99.05.
There is a lot about dongle's on the wiki pages too.

Probably too easy thought to just replace the hauppauge dongle with the sagetv's one? (the dongle is the program I see on the mvp I guess?).
If Sage uses it's own dongle, then there is no way to bring GBPVR to the same speed.

(I assume since Sage has it's own dongle)Sage generates it's own menus etc, directly on the MVP. This is very fast, but is not very flexible.

The GBPVR menus etc are generated on the server, then transmitted to the MVP for display after every keypress. Since there is a lot more to accomplish, it's slower. It is much more flexible, since (almost) any plugin that the server can display, the MVP can display, with no updates to the dongle. Best bet is to use a faster server, and use the MVP tweaks listed on the wiki.
jbyram2 Wrote:If Sage uses it's own dongle, then there is no way to bring GBPVR to the same speed.

(I assume since Sage has it's own dongle)Sage generates it's own menus etc, directly on the MVP. This is very fast, but is not very flexible.

The GBPVR menus etc are generated on the server, then transmitted to the MVP for display after every keypress. Since there is a lot more to accomplish, it's slower. It is much more flexible, since (almost) any plugin that the server can display, the MVP can display, with no updates to the dongle. Best bet is to use a faster server, and use the MVP tweaks listed on the wiki.
I agree that native menus can be faster, but when it comes to the specific problem of the channel change I think it's something like a one packet of 8 bytes that get send from the dongle so that shouldn't be the issue. It's probably more a question of extra disk buffering in gbpvr.

Martin.
I have had it changing channels much faster in my testing with analog capture devices, but it didnt work with digital devices (due to buffering performed in the multiplexer filter), and didnt want to do it a different way for digital and analog devices so I decided to leave it as is.
Quote:Also are you going to support any of the DSM from Dlink anytime soon...
No, I have no plans to do this.