NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Sound quality issues on MVP with avi file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I am desperately trying to play an avi movie on my MVP. The video comes out perfect but the sound is completely distorted. I have played around with the ffmpeg settings in the config file but nothing works. The file, of course, plays just fine on the PC...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fabien
I should add that the same thing happens when I play the file on the MVP through the Hauppauge mvp server instead of GBPVR mvp server....hopefullly that might give you a clue..Thanks!
What audio codec is used in the avi? You can find out with Gspot: http://gspot.headbands.com/
It's using MPEG Layer-3 (I presume that's MP3)

Thanks!
Is it just one AVI file having this audio problem or all of them ?
Once in a while I stuble upon a AVI that seems to be OK audio wise, but if I try to transcode it (ipod/psp/handheld or whatever) the audio is total crap. Even re-encoding it to the same format with same bitrate and frequency ends up distorting the audio. Till now haven't found a solution. Since GBPVR has to transcode (ffmpeg) the AVI file in order to play it through the MVP I guess this is one of those awkward AVI files.
There was a post about this a couple of days ago. Make sure your config.xml has the following:

<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 25 -s 352x288 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 29.97 -s 352x240 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>

You may find you have "-b 2400" instead of "-b 2400k".
Thanks guys, it's only that particular file, and re-encoding it didn't work either, avi or mpg same result, plays fine on PC but sound garbled on MVP...I had already spotted the fix for the blocky video and implemented it but that doesn't make any diff to the sound issue...

Thanks anyway.
If you are really desperate to try it you could transcode it to mpeg but keep the audio as mp3. The mvp can play that (I've tried).
You should use the parameter: "-acodec copy", instead of "-ac 128".