NextPVR Forums

Full Version: wired MVP better than wireless?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am taking the plunge and buying an MVP. Question is.....which one? I always had in my mind that I was going wired as I believe(d) wireless cannot be as good. My router is a Dlink DI-524. From reading some posts though it seems that the wireless may be ok after all. The wired MVP is cheaper but by the time you buy cable, it would be around the same price as buying a wireless mvp. Running the cable is not too much of a PITA for me, but wireless would definitely be easier!

So, the question is, if running cable wasn't a problem, would you go wired or wireless MVP from a audio/video quality and cost perspective.
wall Wrote:I am taking the plunge and buying an MVP. Question is.....which one? I always had in my mind that I was going wired as I believe(d) wireless cannot be as good. My router is a Dlink DI-524. From reading some posts though it seems that the wireless may be ok after all. The wired MVP is cheaper but by the time you buy cable, it would be around the same price as buying a wireless mvp. Running the cable is not too much of a PITA for me, but wireless would definitely be easier!

So, the question is, if running cable wasn't a problem, would you go wired or wireless MVP from a audio/video quality and cost perspective.
Hands down the most trouble free reliable way to go is wired. If the wireless model has both options then go with that for maximum flexibility but ultimately if you want it to be robust...go wired!
I've used my MVP both wirelessly and wired, and I can say without a doubt that wired is the only way to go. While both work, the wired connection is much more responsive, and is much more robust when it comes to things like skipping forward or backward while watching a video. I've had issues with things getting "hung-up" while trying to do this via a wireless connection, and even had issues with the sound getting out of sync with the video. I do not experience any of these issues with a wired connection.

Hope this helps!
No issues running wireless here - wMVP is in the room directly above the wireless router.