NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Newbie with Recorded Video issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys,

Today I finally got all my stuff together and hooked up my new PVR System. As my signature shows I'm using a 1.6 GHz Machine, 640 Megs Ram, PVR500MCE, and a MediaMVP.

My issue comes in when playing some recorded programs. Certain channels that I record look real grainy. I've tried medium and high res, but no improvement.

The weird thing is that LiveTV looks awesome. I haven't tried all the features but the picture for LiveTV looks great. It's just some of the recorded stuff that is not so great.

Could this be a dongle issue? I'm using the default dongle.bin that came with 0.99.5.

It's really weird because some of the recordings look great, but not others. All channels look good in LiveTV, but don't seem to record correctly.

I'm new too all this and very confused. By the way anything that looks grainy on the MVP is also bad on the PC Monitor. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Rich
You could try adjusting the bit rate for your recording profile. I think by default the live tv profile uses a slightly higher bitrate than the default 'medium' profile.
Sub,

Thanks for the response.

How do I go about doing that?

I've read alot about messing with the xml files, but haven't tried this out yet.

By The Way, I know you've heard this before, but GREAT job on the software. It all works so good and I can't even imagine how much time and effort you've put into this.

Thanks,

Rich
In the direct.ini file is the recording profiles.

Defaults for medium:

[SETUP-Medium Quality]
VideoResolution=0
OutputType=14
BitRate=3500
AudioSampleRate=1
AudioBitrate=11
AudioOutput=0
BitRatePeak=7200
AudioCompression=11
EncodingMode=1

You could try adjusting the BitRate nad PeakBitRate settings.
Ok I found it.

Made a copy and then Changed the Medium Settings to match the High Settings. The LiveTV settings were in-between, so I figured more is better. Probably should have been recording on high anyway.

Will let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks Again,

Rich
Well after some further experimentation it appears as though one of the tuners on my 500 is kaput. I tried different scenarios of recording the same show and forcing it too different tuners with huge differences in quality.

Tuner1 is completely unusable. And happens to be where almost everything will record.

Tuner2 is completely clear and awesome. I Don't belive there is anything I can do in GB-PVR to make it better. My next foray will be to call Hauppauge and See if they can help. If not then a return is in order.

Thanks for all your help. Of course if you have any further advice I'd much appreciate it.

Rich
Just to update.

I spoke with Hauppauge Tech Support and they immediately suggested the new driver set.

They emailed the LNA Tray app and Driver version 24205.

Everything nows looks crisp and clean.

Thanks Again for the great software.

Rich