NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Newbie Dongle Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've just downloaded the latest dongle from Hauppauge, version 3.3.24338.

I've renamed it 'DONGLE-24338.BIN' and put it in 'C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Dongle\'.

To use it, is it just a simple case of selecting it in the config? I've found some instructions on another site which say:

Quote:This is very important you must unplug the power supply from your MediaMVP device before install any new update ocen that done.
Uninstall the old Hauppauge MediaMVP software application from Start | Programs | Hauppauge MediaMVP by clicking on Uninstall, then install new ver then plug back-in you MediaMVP power supply.

Does any of this need to be done when using GB-PVR? I don't even have any Hauppauge software installed, I've only ever used GB-PVR.

Does using a newer dongle actually update the software on the MediaPVR? Or is that all stored in the MediaPVR's firmware?

And do I even need to be using a Hauppauge dongle, rather than the one that comes with GBPVR? Which is better?

As you can probably tell, I'm confused!

Steve.
The 'dongle' is the software loaded onto the MVP. It normally stays running even when you switch the MVP on and off (but not power off).
The only way the new software gets loaded onto the MVP is when it is powered off completely for a few seconds and powered back on again.

I'm not sure of the differences between them though, I usually just use the one that sub supplies in the application download.

Martin
I've never had to chop and change dongles, but I think the following is correct:

You shouldn't need the Hauppauge software - You will need to unplug/plug back in so that the mvp will load the new dongle

The dongle is the software that runs on the mvp
First of all, read about it at:
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Config/MVP

GBPVR does all you are asking for. It serves the dongle to the MVP on power up. Then the "software" (=dongle) gets loaded into the firmware and then the MVP tries to connect to server. When you unplug the MVP from power it looses the loaded software and has to get it loaded from a server on plugging it in again.

Newer dongles contain newer features or bugfixes only useable by hauppauge software. gbpvr doesn't support certain of these features - and doesn't needs to.
Thanks for all your replies! That makes it a lot clearer.

Found this in the Wiki:
Quote:dongle.bin is the original software written by Hauppauge. GBPMVP.bin is written by Sub

How do I get hold of GBPMVP.bin, or does it come in the GB-PVR download renamed as dongle.bin?

Steve.
Quote:does it come in the GB-PVR download renamed as dongle.bin?

Yes
sjgore Wrote:How do I get hold of GBPMVP.bin, or does it come in the GB-PVR download renamed as dongle.bin?
I decided to abandon that project a few releases back, so gbmvp.bin is no longer included with GB-PVR. Instead I include a Hauppauge dongle.
Quote:Instead I include a Hauppauge dongle

What version of the hauppauge dongle are you currently including, just out of interest?
Its 1.0.1423 or something like that. I dont know what version of the Hauppauge software they bundle this dongle with.