NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Spare PCI Slot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't have a spare PCI slot for my nice new PVR-150 card to go in, I do however have two PCI-X slots. I read on the Hauppuage FAQ that there is a hardware change required (and I'm sure I read it's a return to them for a change to be made, but can't find that again!), so I was actually wondering, does anybody know if there is any harm if I try my PCI Soundblaster Live! card in the PCI-X slot so I can put the PVR into the PCI slot.

And I definitely have two PCI-X slots, and am not confusing them with PCI-E slots. I see from browsing google that that is a common mistake.

If it comes to it, I'll drop the Live! card out, no harm, onboard sound is still 5.1
pretty certain the PCI-X are just 64bit vs 32bit... but are backwards compatible..

a quick search brought up this page.. and it seems to confirm my thought..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_...terconnect
I think it was me being worried about destroying my nice new card. In the end I opted for dropping the Soundblaster card out, and putting in the TV card.

After reading on the Hauppuage site that I should contact their support, as a hardware change is required, it's left me a little unsure about testing things in the PCI-X slot.

But, I'm well chuffed with my purchase! I've set sky recording things I love to watch while I'm at work. Although, finding the time to actually watch all this stuff is going to be.. difficult.
hammerstein06 Wrote:... Although, finding the time to actually watch all this stuff is going to be.. difficult.

Yeah, that's my problem too...GB-PVR makes it too easy to record stuff. Smile

I have several hundred gig of shows to watch...some day...