NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Suggestions for Capture Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm looking to build my first HTPC system. My requirements are pretty low. One thing I'd like is good hardware encoding so I can record shows without killing the system.

I'm looking through the forums and it appears quite a few folks use the Hauppage PVR 150 cards. From my experience (in just straight video cards) ATI has a pretty solid track record (I had an All-In-Wonder way back in the day and it worked well).

Price isn't too much of a factor.

So, what's a good card? (would you choose a PVR 150 (or 500 if you had the $$$) or go with an ATI card? or NVidia?)

Jeremy

P.S. For what it's worth this system will be in a AMD 1800 MHz system with 1 GB of RAM and an ATI 9600SE video card.
If you're going to record analog TV, I'd say to go with the 150 card. They're fairly inexpensive, they work well, and a LOT of folks use them successfully (I have 2 150MCE's and a 500MCE). I'd hazard a guess that they are the predominant capture card used by GB-PVR'ers (that might be an interesting poll). They can be had naked or bundled with an MCE-compatible remote/blaster.
Yep I'd go with one of the Hauppauge cards (mainly because they are the most widely used) - Before purchasing any card it would be worth having a quick search on the forums to make sure there are no known issues with the hardware

Oh, and it whichever card you go for make sure it has hardware encoding Smile

elite Wrote:Oh, and it whichever card you go for make sure it has hardware encoding Smile

Software encoding cards will spike your cpu, on top of the fact that software encoding cards don't work with GB-PVR.

Go with a 150... I have had mine about 9 months now and not a single hiccup out of it recording 6-10 hours of tv a week.
I got my PVR-150 card on Tuesday, never played with PVR before, but I've already recorded 10-15 hours of tv, not a problem, and am really happy with the results!
Another Hauppage fan - have a PVR500 and aside from some setup hiccups with the FM radio it's always been solid.
Wow... thanks for all the replies.

Looks like I'm going to go with the Hauppage PVR150. Thanks again!

I'll post my full system setup once I get the card and everything set up. Smile