NextPVR Forums

Full Version: VGA Cable lengths - a bit OT but i'm sure someone knows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently my PC is < 8 ft from my TV and connected via VGA cable. Soon, I will be moving my PC into a closet and need a 30 ft cable to connect them. All the opinions online are very different. Some say 30 ft will be fine, other say more than 10 ft needs a signal amplifier. Input from the group would be greatly appreciated, especially if it's from experience.

I have a nVidia Video card with S-Video, DVI, and VGA output; and a 37" LG 720 LCD TV. Also, in the not too distant future I'll be upgrading to satellite (HD).... if it even matters when it comes to cable.

Many thanks.
DVI should be the best transmission as it's digital and therefor the signal shouldnt degrade on a per meter basis - there will obviously be a limit where even the digital signal becomes corrupted - but 30ft ought to be OK.
I have used 50ft VGA cables before, they are fine at 1080
you just need to make sure they are high quality.
A couple of things -- cat5 may be an option. See here:

http://www.avovercat5.com/products/avov3ad.htm

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheat...lease.html

Quote:Oddly enough a few weeks ago I almost wrote an article asking where are the DVI over Cat-5 solutions? Well what do you know, Intelix beat me to the punch. The DVI balun system is capable of extending DVI up to 150 feet, pretty impressive considering up until now many DVI transmissions suffered from signal loss at distances as little as 40 feet.
I currently run a 10m VGA cable from my pc to my projector and I've never noticed ANY quality loss - looks nice and sharp - I bought a sheilded cable with Ferite rings but it wasn't at all expensive (granted I purchased wholesole but margins are low anyway) - $17NZD ($11.60USD). It may vary video card to video card but I've run 2 nvidia cards through it and an onboard ATI and they've all been fine.

pvrproblems Wrote:Currently my PC is < 8 ft from my TV and connected via VGA cable. Soon, I will be moving my PC into a closet and need a 30 ft cable to connect them. All the opinions online are very different. Some say 30 ft will be fine, other say more than 10 ft needs a signal amplifier. Input from the group would be greatly appreciated, especially if it's from experience.

I have a nVidia Video card with S-Video, DVI, and VGA output; and a 37" LG 720 LCD TV. Also, in the not too distant future I'll be upgrading to satellite (HD).... if it even matters when it comes to cable.

Many thanks.
I've used a 50' VGA cable along with mouse & keyboard cables of equal length
and they all worked fine.

BR
I have GB-PVR going out the S-Video of my ATI 9600 XT card to the CRT TV, and a 19" LCD monitor connected to the DVI-D port. The problem I have is that with a 10 foot extension cord for the DVI-D, I get lots of "static" pixels when in POST. Everything's fine once in Windows, so long as I keep refresh rate at 60 Hz when in 1280x1024x32 mode. I use the computer for email, web, etc. at the same time it's being used for PVR.