NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Plextor PX-TV402U Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that this device is not really being supported any more and things can get a little flaky with it but it's been working so well for me I hate to consider tossing it out just yet. So... Maybe someone can help with what I'm trying to do here.

I've been using the standard RF/coax input from the cable for some time and its been working well. What I would like to do is put a signal in directly out of the cable box to the Plextor composite inputs so that I can select the high channels on the cable box and record them using the Plextor and GBPVR. I went through all of the setup adding a second device using the compsite inputs and added a channel. It takes a little messin with but it does work (sorta).

I can get the picture of whatever channel the cable box is set on just fine when I select the channel on the cable box but the sound that I am picking up is the last selected cable channel from the coax input that I watched. With the way my channels are lined up, I get to watch the bike races on VRS with a sound overlay from The 700 Club. One exception. On a fresh boot, with the last channel watched the Composite input channel, I get the correcte sound when I go dirctly to the channel on Live TV. But as soon as I change off of that channel and go back I'll never get the sound back without rebooting.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Your "composite capture source" should not have any channels (do not set up an epg update). In the capture source channels, create a fake channel (I use '1' - it doesn't matter, just make sure you don't have the channel number on the other capture source) and call it something easy like say, "high cable channels". This should be the only channel configured.

After saving/restarting GBPVR, you should be able to select channel 1 and watch/record whatever's on the channel (or setup a manual recording), but I'm not sure what the show will be called. You'll have to go back later and rename it.

As an alternative, you could have a second epg (another zap2it account or xmltv config) with ONLY the higher channel numbers in your "composite capture source" (make sure they're not in your analog capture source, also). If you tune to any of these "higher" channels you'll only see what the STB is outputting (in other words, if the STB is outputting the bike races, then you'll get the bike races no matter what higher channel you tune to), but the advantage is if you can set a "timer" in your STB (i believe most STBs have them now, they may be called autotune or vcr timers, something along those lines), then select/schedule your show in GBPVR and it will record the show with the correct title. It's a nice trick for recording shows from your STB in the middle of the night or when you're at work Big Grin
Thanks for the reply. What you are describing is exactly what I did. And it works except for the sound. The sound always reverts to the last watched RF channel when I get the video for the composite input. If I shut down GBPVR with the compsite channel selected and reboot, I'll get the sound from the compsite input jacks until I change off of the channel to an RF channel. From that point on, I never get the sound from the composite inputs again until I go through the rebood procedure again. But, it does give me a little hope that you got it working. That means that there is a way to do it. I'll probabably go back and try channel 1. Ive tried used the unused channels in the 65-67 range. Maybe there's something special about 1????
Have you tried to get it to work WITHOUT the RF? Just remove the rf capture source, restart GBPVR and see if you can get the audio to work. You may also just want to temporarily disconnect the RF altogether. I have 2 tuners setup as svideo, and one as composite without any RF inputs. (I used to have analog cable and one feed coming via my STB over svideo so I know it works with both.)

I don't think there's anything special about channel one - I used to have it on channel 100, but changed it to 1 because I got tired of scrolling through all of the channels to get to 100 in the manual recording screen.Big Grin
Are you still having this problem...I believe I know what your issue is.
Yes, Still having the problem. I've tried all of the suggested things but.....
Do you have the WinDVR software loaded? This is what is causing your issue, it is not really a problem with the software as much as it is with how it works with your particular setup.

What is happenning is, because you have one set of channels 0-69 setup with the tuner, and then another set of channels coming from the composite or s-video input, the windvr software does not detect that you are now using the composite input, you have to go into the software (windvr) and change it manually. Just another one of the quirks with using the plextor unit, (if in fact you are using that software) still. It also works the other way, if you primarily use the composite or s-video, and change in gbpvr to the tuner, the same thing will happen, I once watched a movie listenning to spongebob squarepants trying to figure that one out.

jeandde
Thanks for the info. I have the software installed but not running. Is there a part of it that loads at boot time that I'm not recognizing that is causing the problem? Its not a problem uninstalling the WinDVR software since I haven't used it since I installed GBPVR.
Apparently there is something that either is in the registry or runs deep in the background that is needed from the hardware, without getting into the technical aspects of the plextor unit. If you uninstall the windvr software, I don't believe, without a substitute such as plextools 3.12 le you will be able to use the unit very successfully. My suggestion is either tho follow flyswatta's advice, and use only one input, preferrably the tuner, because you have it setup to get all of your channels, or keep your current setup, and when you need to change the input, just open windvr, change the input to composite, exit windvr, and record your shows, and reverse the process for the tuner input. Whether you use windvr or plextools you'll always have to change the input externally in addition to changing it in gbpvr, to get evrything working.

Hope this helps.