NextPVR Forums

Full Version: SkyNews DynSource app to replace broken BBC one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You may have noticed that the video links downloaded by the BBC DynSource app seem a bit out of date. That's because the BBC have completely revamped their audio/video stream pages and, as a result, the pages the app are reading are no longer being updated. (I think some of the more static links are still working - the 10 O'Clock News, Newsnight, etc. - but not the news clips.)

It'll require major surgery to get the app working with the new format and I'm kinda busy, so it might be a few weeks before I release a fix.

So here's a SkyNews DynSource app I wrote that you can entertain yourself with in the meantime. [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Looks like somethings gone awry here too in the last 48 hours with SkyNews throwing the following exception.

Quote:EventType : clr20r3 P1 : skynewsdynsource.exe P2 : 1.0.0.0
P3 : 45bb2060 P4 : system P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4333ae87 P7 : 1f2e
P8 : 1bd P9 : system.net.webexception
ralphy Wrote:Looks like somethings gone awry here too in the last 48 hours with SkyNews throwing the following exception.
I can't reproduce the problem. Maybe it's fixed itself?

This does point up the fact that the DynSource error handling is a bit rudimentary for the actual Web Request/Response. I should probably add code to the DynSource library that differentiates between different kinds of error.
eg:

"Cannot connect to <target site>"
"<Target site> not responding"
"Invalid page format returned from <target site>"
Etc.
You're right - looks like a transient problem.

ubu Wrote:I should probably add code to the DynSource library that differentiates between different kinds of error.

I noted that your DLL comments specifically left error handling to the calling app. Not knowing anything about C#, if I have a try {readHTML()} in the exe (as I do in my OzABCDynSource), would a nested try{} cause problems? Not really looking for an answer here, but I am am just questioning where the error handling is best handled - in the exe as you had originally intended, or in the library?
ralphy Wrote:You're right - looks like a transient problem.
SkyNews seems to be having problems. Up one moment, down the next.

Quote:I noted that your DLL comments specifically left error handling to the calling app. Not knowing anything about C#, if I have a try {readHTML()} in the exe (as I do in my OzABCDynSource), would a nested try{} cause problems? Not really looking for an answer here, but I am am just questioning where the error handling is best handled - in the exe as you had originally intended, or in the library?
I'm playing around with putting basic WebError error handling in the dll and then passing back "No page found" in the html page string. That way the web error will show up in the log file but it'll be up to the app to deal with an empty page (Should just fall through the regex check and return 0 items, for existing apps, I think).

Btw - here's the standalone DynSource update app you wanted: [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Just copy it into your Plugins directory and run it from there (it needs UbuStreamPlugin.dll to be in the same directory). If you get it working with the Windows scheduler, can you give me a little write up on the steps required to do this, so I can add it to the wiki (eventually Wink ).
Thanks for this wrapper Ubu.

Please refer to http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post180761 for some notes on how I set up UbuDynSourceUpdate to run with Windows Scheduler.
Ubu,

I got a problem that might be transient causing an indexoutofrange error with ubustreamupdate. The last message I get before the exception error is 'importing BBCPlaylist.plx', so I guess the BBC might have changed things.

Perhaps you can see something in the plx file attached that I think is causing the problem.
ralphy Wrote:Ubu,

I got a problem that might be transient causing an indexoutofrange error with ubustreamupdate. The last message I get before the exception error is 'importing BBCPlaylist.plx', so I guess the BBC might have changed things.

Perhaps you can see something in the plx file attached that I think is causing the problem.
Well, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the BBC pages that the BBC DynSource app uses are no longer being updated by the BBC so they could well be causing this error. I suggest you disable the DynSource app (right click the DynSource in the config app and select Delete) or uncheck Enable AutoSynch so it doesn't get picked up by the update app.

I haven't had time to change the app to use the new BBC pages (pretty much involves a complete re-write, as you can probably imagine). Maybe someone else will volunteer to write a new app. Smile