NextPVR Forums

Full Version: USB and PCI tuner cards simultaneously?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. I'm a long time user of GBPVR. My current setup is a small shuttle case with pvr150, 1gb ram, 2ghz Pentium 4 (from 2002) and i'm just watching regular analog cable (coaxial).

i want to get my system to a dual tuner. Can i use hauppauge's WinTV-USB2 in conjunction with my pvr150 card? I have a usb 2.0 port, and my case is really small. i had a hard time even getting the pvr150 card to fit.

I also have 2 hard drives in the system. (but the hard drives are both on the same IDE cable, i think). there are 2 ide slots, but one of them is used by the cd/dvd drive exclusively.

thanks for your input
I have certainly used internal and external tuners at the same time with no trouble - I haven't tried a wintv one though.
hi martin. thanks for the quick reply. when you record 2 shows simultaneously, are they recording to the same hard drive on the same ide cable chain? or are they recording to different hard drives? thanks
They record to the same logical drive (though behind the scenes you might be using raid or similar).
If it helps I have 2 usb cards the hauppauge pvr usb2 and the nova-t usb2, and a pci tevion dvb-t100 recording at the same time to one p-ata hard drive without issues. I can even watch a previous recording whilst this is going on.
I've had 4 simultaneous recordings.
Two on the nova-t-500 twin DVB tuner (PCI, but internally USB)
One analogue PVR150 from a STB and
One from a no longer used Kworld external DVB USB thingie.
Destination was internal SATA drive, but with no signs of stress with recording that lot.

It's not that common for me, but has happened a few times that there are three simultaneous recordings and two playbacks. No problem noticed.

Martin