NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Big Problems!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All- I have a possibly unique situation here and I'm hoping someone can help. A few of the issues I'm having are GBPVR related, but I'm posting under the MVP section because that's where the majority of the problems lie.

Background: A friend of mine gave me a dead pc for parts which had a Windows MCE '05 license. I decided to use this license on my HTPC in my living room instead of GB-PVR and it's working great. I left GB-PVR installed (0.99.5) so I could use an MVP in another room.

1.) I have had no success whatsoever getting the MVP to boot GB-PVR. Basically, the MVP would hang at "Loading Application".

2.) After spending considerable time in the forums and using every suggestion I could come across, one work around finally got GB-PVR running on the MVP. I installed the Hauppauge software and that booted up instantly. Then I powered off the MVP, disabled the Hauppauge services, restarted GB-PVR, and turned the MVP back on. The main GB-PVR screen came up, but video did not play smoothly and I got a Hauppauge status bar every time I tried to do anything.

3.) I started live tv on the MVP and it came up (still stuttering) on FOX Channel 9. Who cares right? Well my WAF for this project is already very low. It wasn't until my wife sat down to watch the MCE recording of Friday Night Lights on NBC Channel 11 that I realized GB-PVR changed the channel on the tuner that MCE was using. She was not happy that halfway through Friday Night Lights the channel changed to American Idol. I'm using a PVR-500 dual tuner from Hauppauge, and GB-PVR reported neither tuner was in use when one was actually recording.

I'm lost as to what steps to take in order to 1.) get GB-PVR to boot the MVP without the help of the Hauppauge software; and 2.) set GB-PVR to recognize when one or both tuners are in use and not override the program using the tuners.
Quote:1.) I have had no success whatsoever getting the MVP to boot GB-PVR. Basically, the MVP would hang at "Loading Application".
Do you have a DHCP server somewhere on you network? The Hauppauge software has one, the GB-PVR software does not.

Quote:2.) After spending considerable time in the forums and using every suggestion I could come across, one work around finally got GB-PVR running on the MVP. I installed the Hauppauge software and that booted up instantly. Then I powered off the MVP, disabled the Hauppauge services, restarted GB-PVR, and turned the MVP back on. The main GB-PVR screen came up, but video did not play smoothly and I got a Hauppauge status bar every time I tried to do anything.
Reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the logs adn I'll take a look.

When you stopped the Hauppauge software, did you stop both of the Hauppauge services?
Quote:3.) I started live tv on the MVP and it came up (still stuttering) on FOX Channel 9. Who cares right? Well my WAF for this project is already very low. It wasn't until my wife sat down to watch the MCE recording of Friday Night Lights on NBC Channel 11 that I realized GB-PVR changed the channel on the tuner that MCE was using. She was not happy that halfway through Friday Night Lights the channel changed to American Idol. I'm using a PVR-500 dual tuner from Hauppauge, and GB-PVR reported neither tuner was in use when one was actually recording.
If you're not using GB-PVR for recording, then dont setup any capture sources. If you dont setup any capture sources, then GB-PVR definitely will not touch any of your devices.

If you have both applications configured to use the one device, then you'll have to be careful to make sure you dont use them both at the same time. GB-PVR has no way to know that MCE is using the device. Likewise, MCE has no way to know GB-PVR is using the device.
Sub, thanks for the quick reply. By the way, I love the new front page.

I just read through the MediaMVP faq and it gave me some insights on what the problem might be, but still don't have a solution.

I'm guessing the Hauppauge status bar showed up because I booted the MVP using the Hauppauge dongle.bin. It also defaulted to the Hauppauge codec instead of Nvidia, which may have caused the unstable video.

I do have a DHCP enabled router, and a static IP address for the MVP. Here's the odd thing: the MVP's MAC address shows up in the router's attached devices, but doesn't list the IP address. At the same time though, I can ping the static IP.

As for the capture sources, I assumed there was no way for one app to know what the other app was doing, but thought I should ask anyway. I don't need to record with GB-PVR, but I would like to use the live tv feature on the MVP, bt it's not critical. That's what I get for not using GB across the board.