NextPVR Forums

Full Version: hdhomerun doesn't find channels on scan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a new hdhomerun. I am simply trying to get 4 QAM channels to work. I have followed whurlston2's directions, and am having no luck. I have the hdhomerun bda driver installed and they're utility. I have scanned and found my 4 qam channels that I want to work and they play through VLC fine. I have added the following to the bda.ini file
[Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner XXXXXXXX-0]
TUNING_TYPE=ATSC
RECEIVER_ONLY_MODE=1
FILTER_RECEIVER=Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner XXXXXXXX-0
PIN_RECEIVER_IN=Input0
PIN_RECEIVER_OUT=Output1

[Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner XXXXXXXX-1]
TUNING_TYPE=ATSC
RECEIVER_ONLY_MODE=1
FILTER_RECEIVER=Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner XXXXXXXX-1
PIN_RECEIVER_IN=Input0
PIN_RECEIVER_OUT=Output1

Of course putting in the number of my box. I have created a hdhomerun_bda.remap file in the c:\ directory , in my file I have
90-1 2 qam256:621000000 90
This was found by doing a scan to text file, I made up the 90-1 but it found 90 on the scan. I have tried putting this file in the gbpvr directory as well.
I add the Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1010F60C-0 in the BDA device configuration no problem. I put in the settings for my zap2it account which contains 68 channels from my analog cable. I click the Map digital channels to EPG channels button, it does a scan showing that it will scan68 channels, and it doesn't find anything. What am I doing wrong? Do I need another zap2it account for just these 4 channels? I am only trying to get 1 channel to work in my remap file for now. Does the bda driver know to look for the remap file in c:\ , I haven't seen anywhere where you can tell it where the file is. Shouldn't the scan find something even if my remap file is wrong, or not found. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
I also put an ATSC antenna on it just to see if the scan would find anything. Still no luck. Should the bda.ini file say TUNING_TYPE=ATSC or QAM.
Sound like youv'e done everything right. Currently the path "c:\hdhomerun_bda.remap" is hardcoded in the bda drivers. Delete the file c:\hdhomerun_bda.log, run a scan in the "Map digital channels to EPG" then post the c:\hdhomerun_bda.log (as an attachment). If that shows that it is tuning to the channel/program we can go from there. You can stop the scan after it passes the last physical channel number you have remapped.
jthom86 Wrote:I also put an ATSC antenna on it just to see if the scan would find anything. Still no luck. Should the bda.ini file say TUNING_TYPE=ATSC or QAM.

If you attach an OTA antenna, make sure that you delete or rename your c:\hdhomerun_bda.remap or it will still try to tune the channels in it and may not pick up OTA channels. TUNING_TYPE=ATSC is correct.
here's the log and the remap file
After I removed the remap file and did a scan, it did find an OTA channel 29.1
So I just need to figure out the qam.
This won't fix the problem but it helps out in the log file:

Put a return (press enter) at the end of the line in your hdhomerun_bda.remap
I think your remap line is wrong.

90-1 2 qam256:621000000 90

The last number should be the program number, not the channel number. 90 is the channel number for frequency 621000000.

The channelscan.txt will say someting like:

SCANNING: 621000000 (us-cable:90, us-irc:90)
LOCK: qam256 (ss=89 snq=100 seq=100)
PROGRAM: 1: 0.0

Your entry would be:
90-1 2 qam256:621000000 1

Edit: You can also try the Qam Mapper Utility I wrote.