NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Nvidia DualTV Discontinued
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/dualtv_discontinued.html

It's gone... At least they released new drivers for it though.
from what i saw on that sight, this is highly annoying!!

Quote:NVIDIA is discontinuing NVIDIA DualTV, an analog TV tuner, in accordance with the FCC requirement that TV receiving devices sold after March 1, 2007, possess the capability of supporting digital television signals.

:eek: :eek: !!!!

could someone please erase whoever's thought that was originally? Big Grin
one of the Stupidiest laws ever...[and i live in Texas! lol]

so the existing analog-only tuners will be illegal to sell after march?!!
what are they all gonna do with the inventory?
and why hasn't anyone else announced stoppages?
Quote:and why hasn't anyone else announced stoppages?
I've been wondering for a while if the end is near for the PVR150's etc, and the ATI 550s etc, with newer products integrating digital tuners around the same price. ie PVR150s move to HVR1600, ATI 550s move to ATI 650.
sub Wrote:I've been wondering for a while if the end is near for the PVR150's etc, and the ATI 550s etc, with newer products integrating digital tuners around the same price. ie PVR150s move to HVR1600, ATI 550s move to ATI 650.

I haven't really followed the law very much but I thought it was for TV's. Some manufacturers get around this by calling their TV's, monitors. Also the device isn't neccesarily used for receving over the air broadcast, since a lot of us use it on analog cable and that isn't regulated.
There might be a little more to Nvidia's decision to kill the Dual than what they are saying.
actually, 3rd party merchant sites can still sell. The law actually required that any tuner manufactured after 3/1/07 must have digital capabilities. You can still find analogue tuners being sold (for the remainder of their inventory) at places like newegg and pcalchemy. However, since Nvidia's sales is direct from manufacturer, it appears they were forced to discontinue the sale of them directly. In fact, looking at PCalchemy it appears they still have the Nvidia still in stock.

This law is nothing to worry about for US cable customers. You will still get all of your analogue channels through the cable. The law is implemented because the NTSC over-the-air analogue channels will be discontinued and replaced solely by the ATSC. NTSC over cable line will still exist. So unless you actually have rabbit-ears hooked up to your HTPC (which you better not or i would have to come over and smack you), then it is a non-issue. I have debated whether to pick up one of these NVidia cards to replace my 550/150 setup before stock disappears. I have just been curious if they were going to replace it with a hybrid card like everyone else.
Quote:I have just been curious if they were going to replace it with a hybrid card like everyone else.
I imagine they will. Vixs now have hybrid reference designs.