NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Newbie Question - Codec and startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm getting ready to set up my GBPVR/MVP set-up for the first time and have a quick question before I begin. I've read the wiki, and some other sites I've seen seem inconsistent on a topic or two. If I was really prepared I'd actually post links to these sites, but I'm on a different computer right now (and am at work).

For the records, I'm running a p4 2.6ghz system with 768mb RAM, and will be installing a Hauppauge pvr-150. I have basic cable (i.e., no box, no digital channels).

Anyway, here are my questions (and please forgive me ignorance):

1. Is an mpeg decoder codec necessary with the MVP? I swear, I thought I read somewhere that it had a hardware decoder on it. If one is necessary, which is recommended for optimum performance?

2. Are the concerns about quartz.dll (see the sticky Support thread on disappointing mpeg decoding) also applicable to systems using an MVP?

3. I wanted to confirm that if my router has DHCP enabled that there is no reason for me to even install the mediamvp software. I do need to install the pvr-150 software right? Or is only the driver necessary?

4. I probably won't tweak my system too much, using mainly the default settings, but are there any important tips and tricks which warrant being told again? Something that really made a difference in your mvp experience.

5. I'll probably be running a direct line to my mvp from my computer with a crossover cable. The hauppauge remote can control the pvr-150 itself using the enclosed IR thingie, as well as can control the mvp right? I've read that the MVP can sometimes be slow to respond to channel changes and the like. Does using the remote to control the pvr-150, instead of relaying it through the MVP first, speed things up, or am I not understanding some aspect of this process?

6. Any last minute tips and tricks to make the quality of the output video, or livetv match as closely as possible the signal from the wall?

Thanks!

-Chris
Gozar Wrote:1. Is an mpeg decoder codec necessary with the MVP?
No, the MVP has a hardware decoder.
Gozar Wrote:2. Are the concerns about quartz.dll (see the sticky Support thread on disappointing mpeg decoding) also applicable to systems using an MVP?
No.
Gozar Wrote:3. I wanted to confirm that if my router has DHCP enabled that there is no reason for me to even install the mediamvp software. I do need to install the pvr-150 software right? Or is only the driver necessary?
The only reason you would need the Hauppauge MVP software is to adjust the MVP configuration settings, such as the aspect ratio of the TV that the MVP is connected to. I don't have a 150, so I don't know what you need with that.
Gozar Wrote:4. I probably won't tweak my system too much, using mainly the default settings, but are there any important tips and tricks which warrant being told again? Something that really made a difference in your mvp experience.
Check-out this thread:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...work+tweak
Gozar Wrote:5. I'll probably be running a direct line to my mvp from my computer with a crossover cable.
I'm pretty sure that if you connect the MVP directly to your PC, your router's dhcp server will no longer provide the MVP with an IP address, and you will have to run another dhcp server on your pc.
Gozar Wrote:6. Any last minute tips and tricks to make the quality of the output video, or livetv match as closely as possible the signal from the wall?
The only thing I can think of is to use the s-video output of the MVP, not the composite.
5. I'll probably be running a direct line to my mvp from my computer with a crossover cable. The hauppauge remote can control the pvr-150 itself using the enclosed IR thingie, as well as can control the mvp right? I've read that the MVP can sometimes be slow to respond to channel changes and the like. Does using the remote to control the pvr-150, instead of relaying it through the MVP first, speed things up, or am I not understanding some aspect of this process?

If you run it over a crossover cable, you need to either:
1. Run a DCHP server on your PC
2. Run a Network Bridge on your PC (creating a subnet off of one NIC and bridging it to the other NIC (you're main network))

Personally, I'd keep it simple. Run the wire from the MVP to your router. That way it has access to both your PC and the DHCP server.

Also, the MVP comes with a remote, that is what you would use to control it. The whole thing is actually quite simple to use, you're complicating it.

Get GBPVR working with the 150 (at least with the keyboard - don't worry about the remote or ir blaster for the 150 if you're not going to "remote control" your PC or don't have an STB). Make sure you can record shows and play them back.
In the config for GBPVR, on the MVP tab, change "number of servers to autostart" to 1. Click okay to close out the config and it will restart the recording service.
Make sure that you Plug the MVP into your network and then turn it on (with the MVP remote).

As long as you're not trying to do anything funky like play divx files or any wild plugins, then that's it. Really. End of story. Big Grin

Once the MVP comes up, it should look identical to you running GBPVR on your PC. Basically, it's like having a "client" pc running GBPVR and talking back to the "server" - your PC.

Sub has done a fantastic job on making it easy to get up and running.
I'm still playing around with this, but GBPVR mostly works on my computer. (though I haven't figured out how to resume once I've paused something...)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a DHCP server going on my pc... I've tried enabling ICS, tried bridging connections. All it does is remove my ability to access the internet heh. I've trued using tftpd32, but can't figure out how it works.

My background:

One cable jack, living room. Called Comcast, they won't put another jack in another room because of the design of my house. They say I need to call an professional electrician, and it's just too much.

Router is in my office, with my dsl modem, computer, etc... For the time being, I actually have my computer in the living room, with a wireless USB adapter in it accessing the internet via the router. I have a crossover cable attaching my pc to the mvp, and it's just not happening heh.

Here's an interesting tidbit. It's a wireless MVP, and when I attempt to configure it to use the wireless router, it still won't find an ip address despite my router's DHCP server being on. No clue why that is...

I moved my pc to the living room, perhaps permenantly as an HTPC with a wireless internet card to access the net (solely for the EPG). It is then hardwired to the MVP with a crossover cable. That's not too complicated is it? I just wish I could get them to talk to each other.

Setting up a 3rd party DHCP server on my system isn't going to mess up my routers DHCP service will it?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Gozar Wrote:Here's an interesting tidbit. It's a wireless MVP, and when I attempt to configure it to use the wireless router, it still won't find an ip address despite my router's DHCP server being on. No clue why that is...

The MVP doesn't do WPA. Or is it WPE it can't handle? I can't remember. One or the other. Could that be your problem?
Quote:
Setting up a 3rd party DHCP server on my system isn't going to mess up my routers DHCP service will it?

It shouldn't, I think you have too use a different subnet for both connections. e.g.: 192.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.2 for the mvp-crosscable-connection.
Almost. 192.168.1.X and 192.168.2.X would probably work better Wink
Aaahhh, ofcourse, I'm probably not good awake yet.Smile
Care for a coffee? Wink
stefan Wrote:Care for a coffee? Wink

Coffee corner on this forum ??? hmmmm intresting :p
Pages: 1 2