NextPVR Forums

Full Version: TwinhanDTV Sat-CI (1034 Mantis)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting ready to build an FTA PVR and I would like to use the gbpvr software as the core.

I'm looking at either the TwinhanDTV Sat-CI (1034 Mantis) or the TwinhanDTV DVB-S2 CI cards.

Does anyone know if GB PVR will work with those cards ?

-S
There is no support for CI modules at this stage, so you'd only be able view free to air channels, or encrypted channels via multidec softcams.
What is a multidec softcam ? And does your answer above mean that the TwinHan cards will not work at all with the software ?

-S
The card itself should work fine, and will let you watch any FTA channels, but inserting a CAM module in these CI capable card wont make any difference to which channels you can watch. (I'm assume you're getting CI model because you wanted to watch some encrypted channels using a CAM module)

Multidec plugins are sort of an industry standard sort of plugin that can be used with lots of DVB software, with plugins existing to allow you to watch encrypted channels in many parts of the world (via a smartcard reader or card server etc). The specific plugins are often called SoftCAMs, referring to there use as a SOFTware version of a CAM module.
OK, I think that I understand. So now I am a little confused on what you said above about it not working. It seems like what you just explained means that it will work. I'm sorry, I still don't understand.

-S
DVB-S cards typically come in two types - those with CI slots, and those without. Both types can view unencrypted channels (free to air channels).

The cards with CI slots let you plugin a CAM module to potentially let you watch additional encrypted channels. For this to work though, the software has to do a few things. GB-PVR does not do those few things. In effect, the CI slot is totally ignored when you're using GB-PVR - you'll only be able to watch free to air channels.
OK, now I get it. Thank You.

-S