NextPVR Forums

Full Version: brand/type of Hard Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone recommend a good hard drive for using with gbpvr? Does it even matter?

Is there any specs to look for and also, does it matter if it's IDE or SATA?

As for brands, I was thinking of Hitachi or Samsung but I was mostly wondering if it matters if it's IDE or SATA and if there are any issues with either.

My current hard drive is SATA but there is lots of data on it and I am using Windows 2000. I have an unused copy of XP and I was thinking of using it and changing the current drive to another computer.

I'm just concerned about what I might do if I start messing around with pvr software, drivers, DVD convertor programs (for burning DVDs), dvd authoring, watching videos/dvds, etc. etc. It might be easier to have two computers going but if you see any way of using 2K or using the other drive with the same computer, then that would be great. I just don't see how I can use both drives when each one would be using a different OS. Also, perhaps, you run into fewer problems when using XP rather than 2000 but someone could confirm whether that's accurate or not.

But, assuming I use two computers or have two operating systems in one configuration or the other, which hard drives would you recommend? Also, I was thinking of trying to get the largest storage capacity I can afford. Is 320 GB enough?

Any ideas? I appreciate all suggestions and advice. I'm shopping for a drive anyway.
pvrdude Wrote:Can anyone recommend a good hard drive for using with gbpvr? Does it even matter?
The only thing that will matter is acceptable noise level.

Quote:Is there any specs to look for and also, does it matter if it's IDE or SATA?

No. Even when recording at 12mbit/s, you're still only talking about 1.5MB/s. It'd take over 15 concurrent 12mbit recordings to swarm an ATA100 drive. Anything new will do fine performance wise.
I have been a fan of Western Digital drives for years. Lately it seems as though I have been using more Seagate drives in customer builds. They have a 5 year warranty (vs 3 year on most other brands) and they seem to be a little quieter.

In my desktop rig, I have a 160gb Western Digital right now, and here pretty quick I'll probably replace it with a Seagate 320gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822148140

EDIT: Like pwtenny said... ATA100 -vs- SATA doesn't really matter, they are both plenty fast enough!
I suggest seagate, WD drives have recently pissed me off, since I have had 3 die on me
keep away from WD (ted the pinguin is not the only one pissed off Wink)
if noise matters: get a samsung. IDE / SATA: it's your choice, the performance is the same.