NextPVR Forums

Full Version: How much difference does a video card make
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used a GeForce7300GS. I say used because it just died. Now I have a choice of buying the same thing or upgrading to a better one.

When watching tv (37" lcd) I notice that there's a bit of lag. If i'm watching an interview and the person is slowly nodding their head I can see that their face slightly distorts then cathches up. Will a better video card cure this?

Not sure if it matters but I use the Nero decoder because the nVidia one puts everything recorded in 4:3 and I can't make it not do that. I presume it doesn't use hardware acceleration.... if that makes a diff.

-RM
In my experience the video card is the prime factor in a HTPC. It seems there is much more work done by the video card than one thinks. I use an ATI x1800 GTO and am very happy with it. There seems to ne some consensus that ATI does a better job for HTPC's than Nvidia.

If you search the posts the complete x1000 series of ATI does a good job, if you want high def go with at least the 1600, better 1800.
The visual lag you describe can be caused by a high level of compression. I've noticed it on my recordings at VBR settings below 3500kbps, and on straight over the air broadcasts to my television from PBS (Charlie Rose and News Hour specifically).
I have found that any lag you are referring to is more pronounced/noticeable on an LCD TV than a regular CRT.
Hasso, I agree with you. Not only lag gets more noticable just every imperfection get blown up because of the higher resolution of the screen.

I also found when I got my LCD that you really need to drive the screen at its native resolution which was not possible using DVI (HDCP) but does work with a simple d-sub monitor connector.