NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Giving up on HVR-950
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I should have read more, should have known better. Should have had more patience...

I would have really liked to help come up with a configuration for the Analog side of the HVR-950...

1st, I think I would have been better off with the HVR-1600, but the stores here are only selling 950s and I wanted to be able to take it back if unhappy.

Biggest thing I missed was that the 950 doesn't have a Hardware MPG encoder. Yeah, you can use SoftPVR, if I could even get that working... But I think 'why make a CPU work so hard when you can offload the task to a Card'...

But the Digital side, which was supposed to be easier stopped me in my tracks...

There was such different information on ATSC antenna and QAM conections, and whether there were any HD channels turned up in my area...

Then there was the size of the antenna... Well, I don't think I'm ready for HD yet. I wanted to be up front with helping support it, but it didn't work out for me... Maybe I'll get a HVR 1600, maybe not...

Now, if someone wanted to still take a crack at getting me going,.. I'd sit in the passenger seat and go for a ride. But I ain't driving...

So far, no fun... :mad:
Quote:Well I should have read more, should have known better. Should have had more patience...

I would have really liked to help come up with a configuration for the Analog side of the HVR-950...

1st, I think I would have been better off with the HVR-1600, but the stores here are only selling 950s and I wanted to be able to take it back if unhappy.

Biggest thing I missed was that the 950 doesn't have a Hardware MPG encoder. Yeah, you can use SoftPVR, if I could even get that working... But I think 'why make a CPU work so hard when you can offload the task to a Card'...
Yeah, the lack of hardware encoder on the analog side pretty much sucks.

Quote:But the Digital side, which was supposed to be easier stopped me in my tracks...

There was such different information on ATSC antenna and QAM conections, and whether there were any HD channels turned up in my area...

Then there was the size of the antenna... Well, I don't think I'm ready for HD yet. I wanted to be up front with helping support it, but it didn't work out for me... Maybe I'll get a HVR 1600, maybe not...

Now, if someone wanted to still take a crack at getting me going,.. I'd sit in the passenger seat and go for a ride. But I ain't driving...

So far, no fun...
You wont be able to get any digital cable (QAM) channels with this device, but do you receive any over the air ATSC broadcasts where you are? If so, then we should be able to get the digital side working.
sub Wrote:Yeah, the lack of hardware encoder on the analog side pretty much sucks.

You wont be able to get any digital cable (QAM) channels with this device, but do you receive any over the air ATSC broadcasts where you are? If so, then we should be able to get the digital side working.

I'm in a basement, and just have that stubby antenna that comes with the 950...

I could run a coax extender so that the antenae is up high. Let's say I do that... Which do you suggest using to see if there are channels, WinTV or GB-PVR?
Quote:Which do you suggest using to see if there are channels, WinTV or GB-PVR?
Hopefully either should be fine to find the channels. If you dont get any with GB-PVR though, you might want to double check with the WinTV software.
sub Wrote:Hopefully either should be fine to find the channels. If you dont get any with GB-PVR though, you might want to double check with the WinTV software.

I've been playing with the HVR950 on my centrino 1.5ghz with xp and now a X2 4200 with 6150 (onboard graphics) in vista home premium.

I had gbpvr up and running without any problems on my centrino 1.5 with xp and gbpvr 99.5.

So far I am running into some problems with vista and gbpvr 99.12. I set up everything the same way as my centrino machine (BDA, Zap2it) but when I try to map the channels, no channels are found during the scan. However in WinTV I was able to find 5 channels and i am able to watch it without any problems.

I also notice that with my centrino/xp setup gbpvr found more channels than wintv2000.

Any thoughts? I think in the end i will be returning the hvr950 to the store.
congenictv Wrote:I've been playing with the HVR950 on my centrino 1.5ghz with xp and now a X2 4200 with 6150 (onboard graphics) in vista home premium.

I had gbpvr up and running without any problems on my centrino 1.5 with xp and gbpvr 99.5.

So far I am running into some problems with vista and gbpvr 99.12. I set up everything the same way as my centrino machine (BDA, Zap2it) but when I try to map the channels, no channels are found during the scan. However in WinTV I was able to find 5 channels and i am able to watch it without any problems.

I also notice that with my centrino/xp setup gbpvr found more channels than wintv2000.

Any thoughts? I think in the end i will be returning the hvr950 to the store.

And this is why I am returning the device...

(sorry, not very constructive I know... But it's my rant and I'll rant if I want to...)
There was an issue that would account for this - no channels found when scanning with ATSC device on Vista. The fix was posted here a few days ago: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=1...stcount=15. This affected all releases of GB-PVR to date.
sub Wrote:but do you receive any over the air ATSC broadcasts where you are? If so, then we should be able to get the digital side working.

I appreciate the offer sub. I tried connecting the antennae and I got nothing for channels.

Using an antennae is such a step backward in tech that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it turns out that I could get it working with a honking antennae, then I won't be doing that...

I'd love to see HD. I thought, Calgary was a hip enough town to have it (OTA). But with system power requirments, poor info, and certainly the need for an antenna and no hardware encoder, makes me take this 950 back.... and wait for more info from others...

Thanks to all
If you hit the 'map digital channels to EPG channels' button to do the scan, then zip and attach the logs, I'll take a look.

You're not running on vista?
sub Wrote:If you hit the 'map digital channels to EPG channels' button to do the scan, then zip and attach the logs, I'll take a look.

You're not running on vista?

Not Vista...

Hey thanks, but I tried with wintv too and it really looks like the reception is the problem, at least out of the gate.
Pages: 1 2