NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Two Capture cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if someone could explain how two capture (tv tuner) cards work and whether it's difficult to configure. I wasn't originally thinking of using such a system and it's not a necessity but I was curious. It would also cost more but I already have most of my hardware if I use my current computer.

I was thinking of getting a Hauppauge HVR 1600 but I'm not sure which the 2nd card would be. I would like the option of recording one program and being able to watch another channel (perhaps, record on that one as well?). I'd be able to do this, correct? I believe I need two PCI slots or a card that works as a dual tuner? If I have two cards, is this a major task to get it to work?

I assume it matters what the digital set top box I use? Since, I want a HVR 1600, it would be best if I could use a HD box but it's not essential, is it? I could use an analog card as the 2nd card but I could only record SD channels? If anyone could explain how it all works or give their experience of using a dual card system, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have an ATI X300SE video card so could that handle two capture cards or is it best to buy a higher grade video card? If so, which ATI or Nvidia can handle it?

Thanks.
There is nothing special you really need to know about adding a second capture card. Just throw it in, install the drivers and setup a new capture source for it.

If you want to record multiple channels from a set top box, you'll need multiple set top boxes.

Quote:I assume it matters what the digital set top box I use? Since, I want a HVR 1600, it would be best if I could use a HD box but it's not essential, is it? I could use an analog card as the 2nd card but I could only record SD channels?
When you're using an external set top box, you're only ever recording analog standard definition. You can only receive digital HD when you use the device's own tuner. (for example, receiving local HDTV channels via OTA ATSC with antenna)
sub Wrote:There is nothing special you really need to know about adding a second capture card. Just throw it in, install the drivers and setup a new capture source for it.

If you want to record multiple channels from a set top box, you'll need multiple set top boxes.

When you're using an external set top box, you're only ever recording analog standard definition. You can only receive digital HD when you use the device's own tuner. (for example, receiving local HDTV channels via OTA ATSC with antenna)
Okay, that sounds good (quite reassuring). I'm still unsure about HDTV (for the option of) cards, though. I'm comparing to the HVR 1600 but I am wondering if there are any other HD cards that will work (just need BDA drivers)?

I'm comparing:
Fusion HDTV5 Lite
Fusion HDTV Gold-T
pcHDTV HD-5500
ATI 650 Theater Pro (only good for analog, though?)

I suppose I'm looking for the best combination and although the HVR 1600 has both analog and digital, it's mostly a 150 with HD capability? However, I've read owners of that card praise the picture quality and use but is there any other cards to consider that offers similar options?

I thought either of the above could be candidates for a 2nd capture card down the road as well.

Edit: I read that many of the Dvico Fusion cards don't have the required hardware MPEG2 encoder (not sure if this still applies) so I was wondering which HDTV-capable cards are comparable to the HVR 1600 that do.
I set up GB-PVR about a month ago with 2 Hauppauge PVR150MCE cards, and have had no problems. The only snag I had was how to tell which one used FM radio. sub suggested labeling one of them as "Tuner with FM Radio" and setting card type to PVR150MCE, and the other card to PVR150 (which has no radio). This forces FM radio to use the PVR150MCE card. I was having problems getting FM radio to work since I had both cards set to PVR150MCE.

I didn't care about HD since I don't have an HDTV, which is why I picked the PVE150MCE cards.
pvrdude Wrote:Edit: I read that many of the Dvico Fusion cards don't have the required hardware MPEG2 encoder (not sure if this still applies) so I was wondering which HDTV-capable cards are comparable to the HVR 1600 that do.
Correct, the Dvico cards lack the MPEG2 encoder, so the analog side of the device isnt supported.

The Hauppauge HVR1600 and ATI 650 work for both analog and digital, since the analog side has the required hardware MPEG2 encoder, and the digital side has the required BDA driver.