NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Build Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an old P4 2.4GHz machine that I am using with a PVR-150 to create a PVR. All is working well however one problem is it's currently in a server tower case. And it's noisy. So I want to move to a smaller, horizontal setup and try to quiet the box down. I want to keep the cost down on a new box so I am looking for any recommendations on a quiet box that I can get relatively cheap. And does it make sense to replace the stock processor cooler with something quieter?
define cheap!

Moving to a desktop case is not in itself a solution to the problem of noise but they do look better in the living room. The noise comes (principally) from the fans so the better the airflow, the slower the fans can turn and the less the noise.

Generally, small cases mean less free flowing air and smaller (noisier) fans. Bigger cases allow you to run larger (quieter) fans. Also, the PSU can have a big impact on noise levels.

yes, an aftermarket cooler can quieten the system down, sometimes considerably. However the very best coolers (eg Scythe) are expensive and may be too tall for a desktop style case. IIRC the old P4's tended to run a bit hot.

here are a selection of HTPC and desktop cases from a UK supplier which might give you a few ideas on what's available.

http://www.xcase.co.uk/c/118782/1/home-t...cases.html

http://www.xcase.co.uk/c/118783/1/desktop-cases.html

hth
235301 Wrote:I have an old P4 2.4GHz machine that I am using with a PVR-150 to create a PVR. All is working well however one problem is it's currently in a server tower case. And it's noisy. So I want to move to a smaller, horizontal setup and try to quiet the box down. I want to keep the cost down on a new box so I am looking for any recommendations on a quiet box that I can get relatively cheap. And does it make sense to replace the stock processor cooler with something quieter?

Heh, making a PC silent is kinda like making things light for mountaineering...the sky's the limit if you have the $$$. Some people pay hundreds of dollars for nearly silent fans, water cooling and/or fan controllers, just to get the noise down. What about location? My setup is in the basement, away from the living areas. That is not an option, of course, if you have it connected directly to your TV/home theater.