NextPVR Forums

Full Version: This sounds silly I'm sure can some clear this up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Sony Grand WEGA 42 HD TV.

I Use Cablevision as my TV provider. I understand that the HD channels are encrypted and so the only way to record them is to use my STB as the output to my Wintv PVR 250.

I currently use my PVR to record kids shows, so it doesn't need to be HD, in this case I just put a splitter on the cable line and one goes to the STB and the other to the Wintv PVR 250. This gives me the flexability of watching TV while my PVR records Dora the Explorer or something.

Heres the wierd part if I take the second cable line out of the Wintv PVR 250 and put it directly into the back of the Sony Grand WEGA 42 HD TV, the TV will run a scan and setup (tune I assume) 70 analog channels and I a number of Digital channels. If I change channels I get 2 CBS and 2.1 CBS HD and so on.

So how is my TV picking up these HD channels OTA (which I thought was Antenna - litteraly over the air)

I just put a Wintv HVR 1600 in the PVR and I'm using the analog side as a 2nd tuner for even more Dora's.

Could the ATSC side pick up the HD channels the way my ony Grand WEGA 42 HD TV does.
Pochrist Wrote:So how is my TV picking up these HD channels OTA (which I thought was Antenna - litteraly over the air)
They are not OTA, they are QAM (unencrypted). Your TV most likely has a QAM tuner built in.
Pochrist Wrote:Could the ATSC side pick up the HD channels the way my ony Grand WEGA 42 HD TV does.
No, to get QAM you will need the OnAir GT or the HDHomeRun.
Well I started to look up the items you suggested and then on a whim decided to check out what tuner is in the TV according to
Sony the KDFe42a10

comes with a built in ATSC tuner and Cable card slot (the slot I knew about but never used)

I'll have to test it tonight.
Pochrist Wrote:comes with a built in ATSC tuner and Cable card slot (the slot I knew about but never used)
It also comes with a QAM tuner. From page 94 of your manual (Specifications):
Quote:Television System: QAM on cable
Channel coverage: Cable TV (digital): 1-135
QAM is whats doing it too. QAM is why i'm debating getting an hdhomerun (although I don't have a good tv so...)