NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Input needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greetings Folks

I need some of your input on what I want to do.

I have some old computer, not that old, just older than my newer one :p, along with a wired MVP.

The old pc is small enough that I want to bring it out next to my TV and MVP. Shorter cable from pc to MVP. Now I am having a very hard time with choosing a PVR card. I would like to be able to watch and record at the same time but it seems my only choice there is a pvr500 or two pvr150's (a little more cost but thats not my concern).

So I am looking for your input about achieving my goal of watching and recording simultaneously Smile

Smoker
great handle smokie, I mean smoker, Big Grin

I am getting ready to add a second pvr-150 to my system. There are folks with 2 around here, as far as I know it is a good way to go, I'll be watching this thread....
I just added a second tuner to my box. I was considering going with a 500... but after all the stuff I read about them, and chip sets changing and such I decided against it. I ended up buying another 150MCE.

Dual tuners rock! Big Grin
rowle1jt Wrote:I just added a second tuner to my box. I was considering going with a 500... but after all the stuff I read about them, and chip sets changing and such I decided against it. I ended up buying another 150MCE.

Dual tuners rock! Big Grin

I tend to agree about whats out there concerning the 500 but I had to keep it in the options since it is a dual tuner option.

The pvr150's I've looked at and I'm not sure I'd go with the mce version though (requires winblows media center) and I don't see it having a remote included. How do you get around that ? Is there something about the mce version that you prefer over the other versions ?

Smokie errrr Smoker Big Grin
The 150 MCE works with XP using XP drivers.
How fast is the PC?

With an MVP & a 150 I can't imagine CPU usage would be all that high at all.
It's an AMD atholon 3500+ (Manchester) 2.2GHz. I'm pretty sure this will handle 2 tuners and mvp.

So if MCE also works with XP then why did you choose it ? Just curious.

Smoker
Smoker Wrote:So if MCE also works with XP then why did you choose it ? Just curious.

It probably comes without remote (already there in a mce-system) and without ir-blaster. So it would be cheaper. Always carefully check what is being offered exactly with the pvr-150.
I bought the first one because it came white box, I didn't want the Huappuage (sp?) remote. I bought the second because it came in a package with an MCE remote, USB uirt and a USB receiver. When I bought the second one I was shopping around for and needed a new remote, so it made my decision that much easier. Cool

First PVR150MCE that I bought.

Second PVR150MCE that I bought.
One more observation: If you are going to place the computer close to the tv and mvp you might as well skip the mvp, or use it in another room. The mvp works great but is limited in it's possibillities (only mpeg2 and mp3 and jpeg). If you connect your tv direct to the computer you have a lot more possibillities. avi's dvd's etc.
HtV Wrote:One more observation: If you are going to place the computer close to the tv and mvp you might as well skip the mvp, or use it in another room. The mvp works great but is limited in it's possibillities (only mpeg2 and mp3 and jpeg). If you connect your tv direct to the computer you have a lot more possibillities. avi's dvd's etc.

Connect the pc directly to the tv via what ? the pvr card ?

Smoker
Pages: 1 2 3