NextPVR Forums

Full Version: KWORLD PlusTV HD USB-315 ATSC & Qam tuner Any familiar with it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for a Qam tuner mainly and I did look up Onair GT and HDhome run and found this device:

KWORLD PlusTV HD USB-315
Manufacturer Part# KW-ATSC-315U
http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/

But this unit is like half the price. I'm interested in using this with GB-PVR and wondering if anyone has used it and has any opinions about it.
It won't do QAM in GB-PVR. sub may support it at some point but currently, for QAM, it's the OnAir or the HDHomeRun.

Also, even if you find it at half the price of the HDHomeRun (I could only find it at about 25% less but I didn't look hard), the HDHomeRun is dual tuner.
Well this does Support Digital TV (ATSC 8VSB), Analog TV (NTSC), or Digital Cable TV (unencrypted QAM.

But I don't need another Dual tuner any way I currently have a Wintv PVR 250 and Wintv HVR 1600 - so there is no shortage there...

I'm really looking at the Qam HD recording end.

I'm not familiar with the onair gt or the HDhomerun - mainly how GB-PVR is configured to use them. When you say
Quote:it won't do QAM in GB-PVR

Do you mean GB-PVR won't recognize it at all, won't record, or won't play back from it. All I've set it up are the hauppauge cards - so I don't now whats involved in there set up. If I have to go with the one of the other 2 it'd be the GT, because I want to use the USB on the PVR (I don't need this tied to the network)

If I could use it for recording with GB-PVR that'd be fine by me - playback I'll deal with on my own.
Unfortunately there is no standard for how each manufacturer implements QAM support in their BDA drivers, so each one does it differently. The only manufacturers which have provided info about this is for the HDHomeRun and the OnAir GT.

For this KWORLD device to work for QAM in GB-PVR, the manufacturer would need to provide info about how they have implemented support for QAM tuning. Often manufacturers are unwilling to share this info, so QAM only works in the app they supply with the device.

I hope that makes sense?
Gotcha, We'll I'll give you heads up, I spoke to Hauppage today and they told me they'll be releaseing a Qam tuner in 6-8 weeks. Do they typically disclose there methods or do you have to request it?
Pochrist Wrote:I spoke to Hauppage today and they told me they'll be releaseing a Qam tuner in 6-8 weeks. Do they typically disclose there methods or do you have to request it?
Yeah, they've always good at supplying info when I request it.
Is the Kworld unit New or just not popular, I just started looking into this Qam stuff yesterday and all I can find out about this Unit is on their website, no questions on the NGs (but mine)Big Grin . or anything really. The other brands are everywhere. Weird
I think its the first time I've seen this device mentioned.
Well on a hunch I decided to order one, I found it on Newegg so I know I'll have decent return policy if there is problems. It says its compatable on WinXP Pro & MCE, but I did see a notice one their Site that says there is a problem with the Qam tuner on MCE and they provide some work around.

I'm using winXP pro (I happy I read up on the OS differances and problems before I built the PVR.)

Perhaps I can do some beta testing of it when I get it on monday, unfortunatly I'm unfamliar with the GT or HDHome run.

I'm still confused as to how to identify which of my tuner cards is recording which of my scheduled daily records or which is provideing the Live TV Feed in GB-PVR.
Quote:I'm still confused as to how to identify which of my tuner cards is recording which of my scheduled daily records or which is provideing the Live TV Feed in GB-PVR.
GB-PVR picks which to use based on a set of rules described in several posts in the past. It loosely follows the order of the capture sources shown in the config app, with those at the top being most likely to be used for recording.

Remember, it definitely wont do QAM with GB-PVR unless KWORLD supply information about how this is achieved with their BDA drivers.
Pages: 1 2