NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PCI video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can Anyone tell me if going to a PCI video card would be worth it?

I have a chance to get (for free) a compaq presario. It only has 64mb of on board video (no tv-out) memory. Could I put a PCI video card in it? (not PCI-e) to get TV-out? I mean I know I could... But would it be worth it? The Presario blows my current system away except for Video.

And If I did go PCI video.. witch one? I was told Radion 9250? any good?
My sig says I have a 32 meg TV-OUT card.... Update, I have a 128 nvida.
This is interesting to me because I am looking to build my first HTPC and I've heard of ppl using the tv-out from micro-atx boards. I am wondering also what kind of quality one gets from those.

Smoker
Personally I have a 256mb AGP card, But I've used my Hauppage MVP for playback. Last week I was running a much slower system so I used the MVP to take the load off the Computer for playback. If Your fine with Svideo quality then the MVP is an option.

I personally would avoid onboard video like the plague, due that fact it uses system memory (which is slower VRAM) and and puts the load on your CPU.

Although a PCI card would be a step above, they are very pricey now - because they are 2 generations old. An MVP might be a cheaper solution.

Unless your Compaq is very old or just plain low on the quality chain it must of come with an AGP slot or PCIE slot, What model is it?
Pochrist are you suggesting that the best video out to tv is the mvp ?

Smoker
I'm building a PVR out of spare parts.
An older E-machine I upgraded.

I bought a gforce 6200 PCI for it.

It worked nicely with the 1.1 ghz celeron in overlay mode while testing.
Quote:Pochrist are you suggesting that the best video out to tv is the mvp ?

Oh hell yes this is the only way I watch TV on my 42in HD widescreen TV.....Rolleyes

No, I'm suggesting that if you are running an older system with very little video capabilty and a limited budget that an MVP might be a more economical solution.
Ah gotcha :p

No not a limited budget here. I am most concerned with the output to tv. I am going to see what the on-board tv-out looks like first and then if not good enough I will search for a graphics card.
The Compaq Presario is a S6000NX, 2.7ghz w/256 Ram.
It has no AGP slot, and only 3 PCI slots. So basically its faster than my current system, and not to mention SILENT! My old DVD player make more noise than the Presario.

I do have a XCARD that I wana try in the Compaq, but since SUB has dropped support for it, I wonder if I should even waist the time?

I can pick up a 256 Radion 9250 PCI card for $99 CND. The 128 is about $60 bucks...
I have a Dell 1100 with no AGP & 3 PCI slots. I put a PCI FX5200 card in it and fed it into my 55" RPTV via svideo with good results. It has a 3GHz P4/HT and a gig of ram. The PCI (not -E) card was a bit hard to find and cost around $60 US, IIRC.

I replaced it with a home-built system with an AGP mobo and a 6200 AGP card. I had to fiddle some with the PureVideo settings but it drives my new Mitsu HDTV via DVI at 1080P pretty well...a little flicker on fast panning sometimes but not bad.

I doubt the 5200 would handle HD but it worked OK for analog.
Pages: 1 2