NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Video Card Opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently have a ti4200 in my system. It is by far the noisest component in the system so I want to replace it(for performance reasons also). I am looking for opinions on a new video card that is quiet:

-Can do HD
-<$100

Thanks!
most bang for your buck is going to be from Nvidia. Either the7300 or 7600. Both can be found easily passively cooled under 100. I however have a bad bias against Nvidia as i kept getting tearing with Nvidia at HD resolutions (not everyone experiences this). Last week I bought a ATI x1650 and could not be happier. Cost me 91.00 and is passively cooled.

Since you are coming from a ti4200 I am assuming you are looking for AGP. You may be in luck with a few options out there.
Forgot one other nasty constraint: AGP, no PCIX...
Smoker Wrote:EVGA 256-P2-N541-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Need AGP and all of the opinions indicate the fan is loud. Definitely looking for passively cooled.

Are 6600 cards adequate? How about going even lower to 6200 and 5500? I suspect the answer is no.
6600 is better than 6200. 6200 will be minimum for HD, but you better have a decent cpu to pick up the slack. With a 2.53ghz p4 I OCed my 6200 to get smooth 1080i. I now have a 6600 and it is much better, no stutters anymore. They are not passive though. I believe there are passive 7600GS out there, you can seach on Newegg to find one and to get great prices.
If you add a constraint of a half height card (for a slim case) then what would be the verdict. I still suffer stutter and really want to get rid of it (have tried every decoder and trick in the book).

So - half height card, passively cooled and most importantly gives really smooth playback with a known decoder. Any suggestions?
melearp Wrote:If you add a constraint of a half height card (for a slim case) then what would be the verdict. I still suffer stutter and really want to get rid of it (have tried every decoder and trick in the book).

So - half height card, passively cooled and most importantly gives really smooth playback with a known decoder. Any suggestions?

Not agp if that's what your looking for but here's an option for pcie:

MSI NX7300GS-MD256EH GeForce 7300GS
This is more than I wanted to spend but this looks about my best bet right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121064

If I am only doing 720i will something like a 6600 do just fine? Right now I have no intention of buying a TV that will do 1080i so I am wondering if the above card is overkill.
235301, where are you located? I have a passive cooled (zalman) 6600 agp from my previous build that I'm not using anymore I will sell you, if you're in the lower 48.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/...uctID=2326
Pages: 1 2