NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP fails to connect intermittently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sub or anyone that can make sense of this

I have had the following situation occur repeatedly and cannot find a definitive pattern (only some ideas) of when it happens:

Circumstances that always apply:

1 I am on GBPVR 98.16b, other details in my signature

2 cable: I direct cable MVP to PC. PC has fixed IP 192.123.1.1, MVP is 192.123.1.0 per Hauppauge instructions and confirmed by using tftpd32. tftp32 makes no difference but I can confirm that MVP comes up with that IP and tftp can allocate only two IPs.
"windows connection" indicator in system tray correctly announces cable connects and disconnects of the direct cable and power ons offs of MVP

3 DHCP: I can use tftp32 as described above, but makes no difference

4. MVP software is installed and services are set to manual start and are disabled

When it works

GBPVR works for weeks at a time with occasional disconnect recovered by power off/on of MVP

When trouble starts

Generally I suspect it happens with an abort caused by trying (unknowingly)to play a recording of 0 lenght which was caused by some abort (run out of disk space, USB drive powered off, etc). When it does it may take repeated "play-abort-cycleMVP-play-abort-cycle" before it hangs permanently. Then the MVP goes to a permanent "search DHCP" and "looking for boot server"

When it does all the following, attempted in any combination, have no result:
rebooting MVP
power off MVP for up to 1 hr.
rebooting PC
running tftp32
restarting GBPVR (with or without rebooting the PC)
start stop MVP software or services
reinstalling GBPVR

what eventually fixes it

power off MVP overnight or a long time (several hours?)
start MVP software and services
mvp searches DHCP and bootserver for a long time, may be an hour (?)
eventually MVP "loads application" software
MVP cycles through search DHCP and bootserver a few times and then starts to run MVP software
(GBPVR, which has been running recording stuff on its own, makes no difference)

now - kill MVP software with the batch file (services are in manual and will not restart)
start the GBPVR server window, if it does not start on its own (normally it does)
and PRONTO (so to speak) everything works again for a while.

The MVP to GBPVR connection is the ONLY thing that ever gives troubles. Otherwise GBPVR runs beautifully Smile for recording, music photos and video playback (video collected from internet and video I produce including MPEG and MWV). One issue in videos playback is unrelated to this thread and I'll post the question separately.

attached are all the logs with today date or from the last couple of days while I struggled with this mess

Thanks for any help. If there is any particular test you want let me know
Did you ever find a good solution to this?

Somehow my MVP filled up the 25GB on my liveTV diskspace and is now doing the behavior you describe. I've cleared the drive, rebooted the MVP and GBPVR server, but no luck.

Edit: I found a solution that worked for me. On my router, the DHCP server client list was full - I removed 8 records that were identical and also upped the # of clients a tad. Boom it works now.