NextPVR Forums

Full Version: 550Pro vs. Hauppauge analog capture quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there guys- I'm looking to throw a 2nd capture card in my HTPC. I've heard great things about the image quality of the 550pro cards. I've read mixed reviews on the 650 card, it sounds like it had some issues.

I have a PVR150 card now, and the capture quality is pretty good. I couldn't find what bit the encoder is (10-bit?). The 550pro cards are 12-bit, I would think they might be slightly better. Anyone have any experience?

I don't have the need for HDTV, we don't have any TVs that support it and likely won't anytime soon. But I figure it wouldn't hurt to be ready for it, so I was looking at the HVR1600 vs. another PVR150.
I used to think my 550 was slightly sharper than my 150.
They were in seperate systems though & when I started burning recordings from both sources onto DVD's I now am not so sure if the difference is that perceptable.

I honestly only choose the 550 because it cost the same at the time & came with an MCE remote.

If I had to buy a third tuner I would pick whichever one cost less because I think their that evenly matched.

This is my own opinion.
I'd have to agree. I dont think there is much difference between the two.
if price is the same, I will pick HVR1600 since it got everything in PVR150 plus ATSC tuner.

As for video quality, ATI550 pro video is blocky when capture in low bitrate 2000-3500 where as PVR150 does not have it at all.
Thanks for the input guys! I'm leaning towards HVR1600 now, too bad I didn't get it a few weeks ago when it was like half price :/.