NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Syntax of Commandline Options in dongle.bin.config
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OK, now that my dongle.bin.config works. .. :-)

http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/commandline has a list of Syntax of Commandline Options.

1. What is the Syntax of these commands?
e.g. I have
Code:
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &
If I want to force:
(a) pal AND (b)svideo AND © and 4:3 AND (d)SPDIF (passthru) can I do BOTH Svideo AND passthru? The web site above seems to suggest "Enumerated arguments, where you must supply one of the listed choices, are shown separated by a vertical bar (composite | svideo | stereo | passthru). "

i.e. will
Code:
mvpmc options -m pal -a 4:3 -o svideo -o passthru
work

2. Do I add these on one or seperate lines? Is there an ORDER of loading?

Code:
mvpmc options -m pal -a 4:3 -o svideo -o passthru --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &

OR

Code:
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &
mvpmc options -m pal -a 4:3 -o svideo -o passthru

3. How do I add a Comment? "rem" or ";" or "!" or sth else?

Cheers

k.
Hi Martin,
On the subject of syntax, I was not able to get the config file working that you suggested some time ago.
I could only test it shortly before leaving for a business trip but it always hanged during the reading of the file.
You suggested this:

if [ $IP="192.18.1.1" ] ; then
mvpmc options -o svideo
else
mvpmc options -o composite
fi

Is there some obvious error there or is something missing.

Regards
Oscar
I'll update this after work but here's some quick info

dongle.bin.config is actually just a linux bash script so if you want to get fancy there's plenty of info on this on the internet.

Some notes.

1. Self-explanatory I think

# This line is a comment.

2. the command line options are all on one line following mvpmc but you can use the back slash \ as as continuation character

3. when I use options that is not part of the syntax that is something that you should replace with your command line options.

4. order isn't important

5. you can have multiple -o 's

Martin
To set the default volume you need a special config file on your remote mvpmc volume. It will need read/write to save your options the first time.

1. Here are the script changes

umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //$IP/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw

2. Then you need this on the command line

-F /etc/mvpmc/defaults

3. When you have the volume you like for Emulation Mode Go Back to the Main Menu and in the Setup option on the main menu click on Save Settings.

Martin
Timely post Martin, my default Volume is actually a bit too low and even usign Volume up (which works with MVPMC, one of my BIG reasons to use that dongle).

I used your dongle last night and it works so well, I'm going to leave it in the MVP. I took all the previous ones out, but the auto-start and its stability is real clincher.

wrt your above volume post, I take it:

(1) is issued via telnet again and
(2) is added to my command line (anywhere after mvpmv?)

e.g.

Code:
mvpmc -F /etc/mvpmc/defaults options -m pal -a 4:3 -o svideo -o passthru --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &

At this juncture I have to say a little "wo" (as this is getting a bit beyond my feeble brain). The commandline options clearly give you incredible power and flexibility, but at some stage a frontend or browser selection would lend itself well to the ordinary user (which I'm not far off being tbh). A bit like Zehd Process or GUI4FFMEPG for ffmepg. Is this one of the future aims of this testing?

The commandline page notes:
Quote:There are two other ways to configure: via the web interface or via the menus.

1. So I guess I have to ask, is the web-interface ready for prime-time?

I guess what I'd quite like to see is drop down options for each switch, so I can choose svideo, 4:3, pal, passthru, default volume, WOL etc. etc. a bit like in EWA I guess. Any chance of that Smile

2. What does flicker mode do? (I searched the mvpmc site FAQ, but no joy there). I "believe" I noticed a bit of extra flicker with the mvpmc dongle, although this might just be brightness cause by my (now) forcing svideo rather than composite.

k.
jksmurf Wrote:Timely post Martin, my default Volume is actually a bit too low and even usign Volume up (which works with MVPMC, one of my BIG reasons to use that dongle).

I used your dongle last night and it works so well, I'm going to leave it in the MVP. I took all the previous ones out, but the auto-start and its stability is real clincher.

I'm glad its starting to get better for you.

Quote:
wrt your above volume post, I take it:

(1) is issued via telnet again and
(2) is added to my command line (anywhere after mvpmv?)

The lines in 1 actually get added to the dongle.bin.config script but yes you add the -F etc to the command line. The word options is not necessary.

Also now using the -F you can set pal, 4:3, svideo and passtru via the setup option so they don't need to be on the command line.

Quote:
At this juncture I have to say a little "wo" (as this is getting a bit beyond my feeble brain). The commandline options clearly give you incredible power and flexibility, but at some stage a frontend or

I agree 100% but I can't get the other dev's to buy-in to other options like the browser interface. As a result there is not one place to configure mvpmc

Quote:
I guess what I'd quite like to see is drop down options for each switch, so I can choose svideo, 4:3, pal, passthru, default volume, WOL etc. etc. a bit like in EWA I guess. Any chance of that Smile

Me too. I just don't like the looks of what I've designed so far. Someone started working on something based on freenas http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=...&Itemid=28
which I though would be cool but didn't have the time. I'm still looking for someone to help redesign the pages (without javascript or php).

What's there now works and could even be made to load via the config script too but I don't think it's complete enough to bother.

Quote:2. What does flicker mode do? (I searched the mvpmc site FAQ, but no joy there). I "believe" I noticed a bit of extra flicker with the mvpmc dongle, although this might just be brightness cause by my (now) forcing svideo rather than composite.

k.

I hasn't done anything before the alpha, but right now it might do what the Hauppauge dongle does from 0 no flicker to 2 full flicker. I don't have a tv that flickers to test. If you've got a flicker setting in flash it will use that too.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:The lines in 1 actually get added to the dongle.bin.config script but yes you add the -F etc to the command line. The word options is not necessary.

So the steps are:

A. FIRST (my) dongle.bin.config script would read:

Code:
umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //$IP/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw

B. Reboot MVPMC. When MVPMC starts, I then choose a Volume I like and go back to the Main Menu and in the Setup option on the main menu click on "Save Settings".

mvallevand Wrote:Also now using the -F you can set pal, 4:3, svideo and passtru via the setup option so they don't need to be on the command line.

C. I then REDO my dongle.bin.config with the commandline script (w/o options, -m pal -a 4:3 -o svideo -o passthru)

Code:
mvpmc -F /etc/mvpmc/defaults --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &

mvallevand Wrote:I agree 100% but I can't get the other dev's to buy-in to other options like the browser interface. As a result there is not one place to configure mvpmc
Oh that's a real bummer. IMHO this will never get the mainstream exposure it deserves without it.

mvallevand Wrote:Me too. I just don't like the looks of what I've designed so far. Someone started working on something based on freenas http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=...&Itemid=28
which I though would be cool but didn't have the time. I'm still looking for someone to help redesign the pages (without javascript or php).
That's a nice interface ...

mvallevand Wrote:What's there now works and could even be made to load via the config script too but I don't think it's complete enough to bother.
Yeah, sorry to say it's a little "messy" :o for me, btw the "reboot button" is in the RADIO section which might confuse some folks. Might want a seperate section for that? (it's another PLUS of mvpmc...).

mvallevand Wrote:I hasn't done anything before the alpha, but right now it might do what the Hauppauge dongle does from 0 no flicker to 2 full flicker. I don't have a tv that flickers to test. If you've got a flicker setting in flash it will use that too.
So if I have flickering I choose 0? Why would one choose 1 or 2?

You often refer to flash, how do I access the flash, only via the Hauppauge dongle and interface? I hate loading that thing onto my PC ...

Thanks, this is so great!

k.
jksmurf Wrote:A. FIRST (my) dongle.bin.config script would read:

To avoid rebooting I suggest this dongle.bin.config

Code:
umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw

Quote:Oh that's a real bummer. IMHO this will never get the mainstream exposure it deserves without it.

It's difficult since most people just want a more stable Hauppauge dongle. It pains me to see people reverting to old versions of GBPVR rather the diagnosing their real problems. Really,I don't think browser configuration would make much difference because the normal response with a bad experience with emulation mode is going to be to give up. People forget how often they see the MediaMVP blue screen, the Connecting to servers, failure to connect to GUI etc. I actually became so used to unplugging the mvp to load the dongle, it became second nature. Plus during the first 5 minutes you aren't going to see any benefits to mvpmc so its not an easy alternative to sell to the better half.

Quote:
Yeah, sorry to say it's a little "messy" :o for me, btw the "reboot button" is in the RADIO section which might confuse some folks. Might want a seperate section for that? (it's another PLUS of mvpmc...).

Thats my fault. I've got an mvp hooked up to some old computer speakers with no TV, that I use solely for listening to internet radio while I do some exercising. It made sense at the time since it really was just for me but the plugin redesign will make this all more logical.

Quote:
So if I have flickering I choose 0? Why would one choose 1 or 2?

No the opposite 0 is no flicker problems, 2 would be worst case flicker in theory

Quote:
You often refer to flash, how do I access the flash, only via the Hauppauge dongle and interface? I hate loading that thing onto my PC ...

Yes flash access is through Hauppague dongle and their server Setup.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:To avoid rebooting I suggest this dongle.bin.config

Code:
umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw
Yeah but if it AUTO-starts into emulation mode ... how on earth do I get to the SETTINGS screen :confused: to set the default volume and other params initially?

mvallevand Wrote:It's difficult since most people just want a more stable Hauppauge dongle. It pains me to see people reverting to old versions of GBPVR rather the diagnosing their real problems. Really,I don't think browser configuration would make much difference because the normal response with a bad experience with emulation mode is going to be to give up. People forget how often they see the MediaMVP blue screen, the Connecting to servers, failure to connect to GUI etc. I actually became so used to unplugging the mvp to load the dongle, it became second nature. Plus during the first 5 minutes you aren't going to see any benefits to mvpmc so its not an easy alternative to sell to the better half.
I agree with your first part, but still believe many folks stay away if they are not used to commandline type things.... stuff they can TRY out with no real issues ... be pointed to....posted pics of...

mvallevand Wrote:Yes flash access is through Hauppauge dongle and their server Setup. Martin
I suppose there is no way you can do this too :-)

k.
jksmurf Wrote:Yeah but if it AUTO-starts into emulation mode ... how on earth do I get to the SETTINGS screen :confused: to set the default volume and other params initially?

Hit the Go key then the Back key
Quote: I agree with your first part, but still believe many folks stay away if they are not used to commandline type things.... stuff they can TRY out with no real issues ... be pointed to....posted pics of...
I don't disagree that it is needed, and I figure a client side VB or Java program that created a config script could be written in an afternoon. There haven't been any volunteers on the mvpmc side maybe one day someone will like emulation mode enough to do it here?
Quote:I suppose there is no way you can do this too :-)

A few people on the team, especially Jon the project leader could write the code to write to flash, and I've talked to Hauppauge to discuss how it could be done without touching their setting. I've even stored mvpmc completely to flash and believe me it's cool. The problem is how many people do you think are willing to test this and risk bricking their machines?

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3