NextPVR Forums

Full Version: QAM Support for Hauppauge 1600!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using the gbpvr for a couple years now with the Hauppauge 150 and with great sucess, THANKS SUB!!!! I just upgraded to a HDTV and bought the Hauppauge 1600 with OTA HD tuner and an in the process of setting it up. Everything has gone good so far but I cant get the OTA HD station to pick up in the scan. I am trying to run both cards at the same time so I have some trouble shooting to do. If I cant figure it out I will repost regarding that problem. This post is regarding QAM support for the 1600 card.

While trying to get my card working I went to the Hauppauge site and found this "Installation CD Version 3.4C beta 1 with QAM support for WinTV-HVR-1600 product codes 74021 and 74041". It looks like they have developed a beta driver to enable QAM support for this card. Has anyone played with this yet? Any sucess and if so how did you make it work? Did you make QAM work with gbpvr or any other program?

If QAM does work I may go that route before trying to get my over the air HD to work. Well just thought I would check to see what people have tried so far with this card. Thanks so much I love this sight! Big Grin
There is no QAM support for the HVR1600 in GB-PVR yet, but it will most likely be added in the next release.
WOW fast reply SUB!. Sorry I should have read some post first, I just noticed this post talking about the same thing just after I posted mine. "AVerMedia M780 vs Hauppage 1600 Review " you can delete mine if you want to clean up clutter on the board. I will keep my ears open for new developements with this card on the forums. Thanks again.
They work ok since I found QAM channels, but the numbering makes no sense at all! I mean I'm used to the typical QAM channels because I use QAM in my TV, and I've made a list of channels respectively on their digital channels, which have no order. The 1600 however is unable to show the digital channel, and the ordering of channels is almost random at times. the channels start at 2001 and the channel names start repeating, for example: "qam-7 (2)"

I also noticed that I'm getting less channels on the card than on my TV. Entire blocks of channels dont tune. For example, I have channel 107 with 10 subchannels, but I can't tune that in the suite manager to add the channels. Another block, 110 for me, has 6 channels, 2 HD, that tunes fine.

On a positive note, the HD channels are very stable. Much more stable than OTA for me. No jerkiness in picture, no dropped frames, nothing.

So it's appropriate that these drivers are beta, because there really isn't much functionality besides being able to see QAM channels in a crude fashion.

Issues they still havent worked out in their crappy WinTV software are the 1080i snapshots that still dont work and the aspect ratio on the full screen mode for 16:9 content (stretches out to 4:3 no matter what you do in the settings)

Some of the missing channel issues could also be provider-side, but I'd doubt that's the case since I can see them fine on my TV. But this has warned me to not touch the channel scan on the TV for a while because I might just lose channels hehe.

So overall, it's a good feature to have but it needs work, as indicated by the fact that it is beta.

Thanks sub for making such a damn good piece of software, which I'm sure will make this card perform like a champ using QAM.
PixelatedFooL Wrote:They work ok since I found QAM channels, but the numbering makes no sense at all! I mean I'm used to the typical QAM channels because I use QAM in my TV, and I've made a list of channels respectively on their digital channels, which have no order.
On a positive note, the HD channels are very stable. Much more stable than OTA for me. No jerkiness in picture, no dropped frames, nothing.

My experience wasn't as good as your's. The scan for QAM works, I can atest to the strange ordering, but I don't have any stability at all. Everytime I hit an channel (I don't really now what they are yet, they play for about 2 seconds and freeze).

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Everytime I hit an channel (I don't really now what they are yet, they play for about 2 seconds and freeze).

Martin

Yea testing this and getting it to work really depends on you knowing beforehand where your channels will be. I do get the 2 second/freeze thing on the channel blocks I said that I should be getting but I'm not. So its either a signal or provider or tuner/provider issue
PixelatedFooL Wrote:Yea testing this and getting it to work really depends on you knowing beforehand where your channels will be. I do get the 2 second/freeze thing on the channel blocks I said that I should be getting but I'm not. So its either a signal or provider or tuner/provider issue

I got around the problem by hitting pause - play - tv. so I think it's tuner only. I run Vista FWIW. I don't have anything to baseline and I didn't know where to look, so after the scan which actually didn't take too long, I used the surf function to ID the different channels because the scan had lots of duplicates.

Martin