NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppauge Nova S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I am looking to here from anyone who is using 4 or more of these in a PC and would care to comment on the results with all 4 or more recording at once. I am getting a lot of stream errors which don't occur with 2 or less recording and would like to know some solutions.

Thanks
Wayne
I dont think there is many users with multiple DVB-S devices, but there are quite a few users with four or more DVB-T devices (bgowland is one that springs to mind). That said, DVB-S and DVB-T are almost exactly the same from GB-PVR's perspective (with the only difference being at initial tuning time).
I currently have 3 active DVB-T tuners, soon to be 6 Big Grin

I read on the hauppauge site the other day something about how stuttering can be caused by a PCI-hogging SATA controller such as the silicon image ones. Apparently they are on a PCI bridge and not directly connected to the cpu, so if they are hogging the PCI bus, which your tuners are also on, it can cause problems.

But having said that, i have a silicon image sata controller and successfully did a test record of 3 simultaneous programs the other day with no problems at all.
sixgun Wrote:I currently have 3 active DVB-T tuners, soon to be 6 Big Grin

I read on the hauppauge site the other day something about how stuttering can be caused by a PCI-hogging SATA controller such as the silicon image ones. Apparently they are on a PCI bridge and not directly connected to the cpu, so if they are hogging the PCI bus, which your tuners are also on, it can cause problems.

But having said that, i have a silicon image sata controller and successfully did a test record of 3 simultaneous programs the other day with no problems at all.

Thanks for that, Makes sense. I shall investigate further. I do have a PCI SATA controller.

Cheers
Wayne
sixgun Wrote:I currently have 3 active DVB-T tuners, soon to be 6 Big Grin

Sorry forgot this. What motherboard are you running to have 6 pci slots
Kasper Wrote:Sorry forgot this. What motherboard are you running to have 6 pci slots

It's got 4 pci slots, and i will be running 2x Nova-T 500 (dual tuners) and 2x Nova-T. Making a total of 6 tuners.