NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Network speed for HD files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone use a MVP for HD content?

At some point soon we're gong to go HD, and I'll need a new system for that. The only thing I don't know about it how well watching HD files over the network will do.

I am thinking about xvid files I'll start compressing at higher rates and sizes, but I suppose watching HD on a MVP would be much more intensive than that (or watching a DVD over the lan).

I I have a 10/100 wired LAN, and I wondering if this is going to be enough, or if I need to go for 100/1000. I just did a freshdiagnose becnhmark, and I was getting 8Mb read and 10Mb write.
Afaik a mvp only plays SD, being mpeg2 with mp2/mp3 audio. The maxbitrate for that would be around 10mbps, which is max dvd bitrate. I think I read somewhere that a mvp could take up to 15 mbps but that might just as well have been a dreamSmile .
I did a little testing: I couldn't get ffmpeg to transcode to higher bitrate than ~9000. 10000 or higher it wouldn't do. I think the combined audio+video-bitrate shouldn't be over 10000kbps.
I play HD files (dvr-ms) over my 10/100 wired network without any problems.

I don't think the MPV will play HD unless it's transcoded, and then it wouldn't be HD any more...
zed Wrote:I play HD files (dvr-ms) over my 10/100 wired network without any problems.

I don't think the MPV will play HD unless it's transcoded, and then it wouldn't be HD any more...

I think this may be the answer.

It was a little misleading when I mentioned the MVP. It's not that use one, but I figured HD over that would be more bandwidth than just a HR xvid file (and now that I think about it, even regular TV at 2000+ bit rate would be, too).

I used to get HR copies of 24 once in a while, and they would play choppy. I wasn't sure if it was the vid/processor, or the lan.
unless you have a house like mine where the network may actually be busy a 10/100 lan shouldn't be a problem for HD.

Just stay wired.
capone Wrote:I think this may be the answer.

It was a little misleading when I mentioned the MVP. It's not that use one, but I figured HD over that would be more bandwidth than just a HR xvid file (and now that I think about it, even regular TV at 2000+ bit rate would be, too).

I used to get HR copies of 24 once in a while, and they would play choppy. I wasn't sure if it was the vid/processor, or the lan.

I am already dealing with this. Your PC has to have a lot of grunt to transcode on the fly. I have an x2 4600+ that does my transcoding on the fly and it still max's out the CPU with choppy playback. I am looking at getting a DSM-520 to play back HD natively, but I need to transcode from dvr-ms to mgp for it to play. No good solution yet.

You can preprocess to SD for the MVP.
HtV Wrote:I did a little testing: I couldn't get ffmpeg to transcode to higher bitrate than ~9000. 10000 or higher it wouldn't do. I think the combined audio+video-bitrate shouldn't be over 10000kbps.

Some progs can create a MPEG2 with a bitrate highter than 10Mbit/s, for DVD creation useless since the official video datarate specs for DVD's is 9.8 Mbit/s
(video and audio combined)
Ok, thanks.