NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Default volume level?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Martin,

If I understand things correctly the default volume is always set to maximum. Would it be possible to have a somewhat lower default like 80 or 90% of maximum?

Pieter
pz1 Wrote:Martin,

If I understand things correctly the default volume is always set to maximum. Would it be possible to have a somewhat lower default like 80 or 90% of maximum?

Pieter

Pieter, this sounds like a good idea based on jksmurf and your comments, however given there are so many complaints about the low volume of the Hauppauge dongle, I am relunctant without a bit more feedback. If two others agree and no on disagrees I will make the change.

The 80% is tough because the volume control is quasi-logarithmic. I've noticed about 30 changes from max to no volume. Starting at the top (max) could you hit volume down and count how many clicks down you'd like.

One of the advantages of suffering the pain of this testing is you guys will get you want.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:however given there are so many complaints about the low volume of the Hauppauge dongle

Fair enough. Would it in principle be possible to set the default volume via a commandline option at startup?
pz1 Wrote:Fair enough. Would it in principle be possible to set the default volume via a commandline option at startup?

Yes, using the -F command line option as I explained to jksmurf in the command line options thread. I can help you with it tomorrow, its getting late here.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:.... given there are so many complaints about the low volume of the Hauppauge dongle, I am relunctant without a bit more feedback..... Martin

I'd love to agree, but the darn MVP volume is so low, 80-90% of so low is still LOW and still well below my TV's volume. I sometimes watch real LiveTV for FTA and and switch to GBPVR for DSL Cable and FTA.

The discrepancy is so big that the top end of the MVP is no match for the TV and my kids get woken by a monster balst when I switch from MVP to normal TV.

k.
mvallevand Wrote:Yes, using the -F command line option as I explained to jksmurf in the command line options thread. I can help you with it tomorrow, its getting late here.

Martin

No big deal, don't hurry. It is just that I am to lazy once in a while to get out of my chair to turn the volume a bit.
Sorry I meant the command line option -F filename I've changed this on earlier messages to avoid future confusion.

The principle is that you have to create filename on a writeable network share and then use the Setting option on the Main Menu where you would hit Save Setting on the remote control. The current volume setting is one of the internal settings that would be save. An example dongle.bin.config to do this:

First you have to create a writable share (once the file is written and you are happy with the volume you don't need these two lines anymore)

umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //$IP/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw

Then you need this on the command line

mvpmc "your options" -F /etc/mvpmc/defaults

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Sorry I meant the command line option -F filename I've changed this on earlier messages to avoid future confusion.

The principle is that you have to create filename on a writeable network share and then use the Setting option on the Main Menu where you would hit Save Setting on the remote control. The current volume setting is one of the internal settings that would be save. An example dongle.bin.config to do this:

First you have to create a writable share (once the file is written and you are happy with the volume you don't need these two lines anymore)

umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //$IP/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw

Then you need this on the command line

mvpmc "your options" -F /etc/mvpmc/defaults

Martin

Thanks. I don't have the time right now, but will give it a try end of next week.
pieter
pz1 Wrote:Thanks. I don't have the time right now, but will give it a try end of next week.
pieter

Anytime, by then I probably will just add --em-vol it seems easier.

Martin.
I would second just bringing down the default, if the increments go from 0-30, maybe try 26 for now?