NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MCE remote and Mcelr driver not installing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well there is nothing like making my first post the most common and annoying one but I have been going over this for the past two days with no luck. I am hoping for a pair of fresh eyes to tell me what I am missing so I can get back to watching tv.

I am a recent convert from Windows MCE. My hard drive took a crap on me so it was time to try out other options like MythTV and so forth. I settled on GBpvr since it is totally easier to use and feature rich. This software is really a undiscovered gem. I can't praise it enough really.
Anyhow, I used MCE with my Haup PVR-150 card with its IR blaster and remote to change channels on my Time Warner cable box. All was well. I see that GBpvr doesnt handle the cable box so well without some addons.
The Wiki, (which has been invaluable to me) has shown me that I need to use HIP or Girder to bridge the gap between.

Well I have tried HIP and the others and was a bit taken about at the complexity. I muddled through a few tutorials only to be stopped here and there by issues.

My first one, and seemingly the biggest one is I cannot install the mcelr driver. I follow the instructions to the letter and attempt to upgrade the eHome infared trans under USB in the device manager but it errors out with "the location does not contain information about your hardware"
Sounds like the wrong driver to me.

SO, my MCE remote controls the basics, but can't change my digi box channels or do the advanced stuff.

I'm stuck and not sure how to advance.

[Image: Haup_MCE_front.jpg]
I think one of my problems is Wintv isnt seeing my IR blaster. When I try to run ir32 it crashes, and when I try to run blaster setup it says there isnt a blaster available.

I clearly see it in the device manager though.
continue past that warning...it happens on any driver that windows thinks it has a better driver for..and here we're replacing it with a homemade version...
just hit 'have disk' when searching for driver and point it to the replacement driver and force it to use that one..it can be undone later if need be so don't worry..

also, you should be able to use gbpvr's built in functionality to blast with...
if using the regular MS driver, select MCE remote in gbpvr config, and set capture source's channel changer to MCE blaster and go into the settings and create new profile and 'learn' your cable box's codes...

but if you want all the remote's keys to do as you wish, gotta use HIP...
[there are several HIP setups already made on the forums..Smile]
Its not the usual, "not digitally signed" error, its the same error as if you tried to use a video driver to upgrade a modem driver. It's just saying its totally wrong and re-asks for a driver.

I noticed last night the Hauppeug ir.exe didnt work so I downloaded the "all in one repackaged" cd on the MCE Haup site. I was able to get that fixed so that is a positive step.

The WinTV IR blaster says it cannot find a device so that may be a issue as well.

I did 48 microsoft updates and patches last night so we will see if that hjelped at all.

I thought I did the built in gbpvr setup for the blaster but i will go over it again to see if I overlooked a setting.

I do have the IR blaster going through a hub and 18 ft of USB extensions...maybe thats a issue.

Thanks for the tips.
ColumbusGEEK Wrote:Its not the usual, "not digitally signed" error, its the same error as if you tried to use a video driver to upgrade a modem driver. It's just saying its totally wrong and re-asks for a driver.

I noticed last night the Hauppeug ir.exe didnt work so I downloaded the "all in one repackaged" cd on the MCE Haup site. I was able to get that fixed so that is a positive step.

The WinTV IR blaster says it cannot find a device so that may be a issue as well.

I did 48 microsoft updates and patches last night so we will see if that hjelped at all.

I thought I did the built in gbpvr setup for the blaster but i will go over it again to see if I overlooked a setting.

I do have the IR blaster going through a hub and 18 ft of USB extensions...maybe thats a issue.

Thanks for the tips.

The Hauppauge IR software is not designed at all for the MCE kit beanbag and remote that you have I (unless you also have the wintv card that includes the much smaller dongle...

Perhaps the ir software is conflicting. Also, I returned my kit for the reason that I found it to be more shoddy than the microsoft combo. That will probably not be an option...

I would try with the beanbag plugged directyly into the USB port...

Also, the latest versions HIP include the alternate driver. I would suggest that you might have a broken file...
See next post.
Well piss on MCE once again. That remote and blaster is going on eBay.

I bought a UIRT and a Sony Learning remote. Between that and Girder I am going to get everything working with one remote if it kills me. Enough of this shortcutting.