NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Anybody using "On Demand" via your cable box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Time Warner cable offers a boatload of "on demand" content, and I really miss it since my move to a PVR from their DVR.

Has anybody been able to be able to use on demand using a IR Blaster?
ColumbusGEEK Wrote:...use on demand using a IR Blaster?
Do you mean have GB-PVR schedule/switch to an On-Demand feed? Other than switching to channel 1, I'm not sure how you would even start to do such a thing. All of the On-Demand I see requires navigating through several levels of menus, which isn't something found in regular, tunable channel television.

I figured if I wanted to record something from On-Demand, I'd have to treat it like I was copying something from a VCR.
Good idea, but far moe advanced then I was thinking.

I just would like to be able to tune to the 300 OnDemand channel and navigate the menus ON channel 300 with a remote. It seems simple, till I think about it.
My remote can control the cable box as well so I either switch to TV inputs and watch on demand directly or tune to any channel that is using s-video into GBPVR and then switch my remote.

GBPVR doesn't know what is happening but as long as your watching live TV you'll be able to see the on demand and menus.
I guess you'd have to add channel 300 to your lineup (not in zap2it, but in gbpvr's lineup) as a "dummy" channel. I think you can do that in the capture source setup.
I was doing this with a RF IR remote extender. I would just go to Live TV, then using the cable box remote, changing to OnDemand channel... then saving the live tv recording. Or I would schedule a 3hr show, and change the box manually. After complete, I would trim the video.

I ended up doing so infrequently, I went fully manual and usually use the WinTV2000 to do VCR type recording.
My cable boxes are in my basement along with my PVR one story down from my TV or else I would do that for sure. Your solution isn't very elegant but it's functional. I would have totally done that if my electronics where all in the same room. I don't plan on recording much MOD/VOD but I like to have it available for the girl.

I rethought my setup and just bought a Sony learning remote as well as a UIRT blaster. I will be able to do what I need this way with a little bit of setup and programming and HIP.
ColumbusGEEK Wrote:My cable boxes are in my basement along with my PVR one story down from my TV or else I would do that for sure.

Same with me, that is why I was using the RF based IE extender. It is those black pyramid things that Radio Shack sold. I put one on top of the TV, and the other in the basement pointing at the cable box. Then I had control of the cable box from upstairs. I don't understand what a learning remote will do for you.
The pyramids are a good idea.

The learning remote will learn the codes of the remotes of Time Warners remotes and let me choose what buttons are blue red and yellow from their remote.

For 20 bucks a learning remote is a steal anyhow.