NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can Mpeg4 hardware encoders be used with GB-PVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have recently purchased the USB Mpeg4 Grabber GA-VD207 and it seems to be a great USB device to make Mpeg4 DivX vids!

But there is something i really need help with!
I can record a video file but the software that comes with it does not appear to have an 'Timed Recording' Option. For example, i can start the recording, and i want it to stop 2 hours later automatically.

Can GB-PVR software allow me to use the USB Mpeg4 Grabber to set the recording length or even a scheduled recording time? It can also hardware encode Mpg2 but naturally i prefer to use the Mpeg4 DivX setting.

Here is a direct link to the Taiwanese manufacturer.

Thanks
Sorry, no its not compatible with this device.
Hi sub,

Is that because its a USB device? or because its Mpeg4?

Thanks for your prompt response.
All cards arent the same. There is quite a bit of work (days/weeks) that goes into support each family of devices. This is a new family, meaning I'd need one of the devices, and the available time, and the interest. Unfortunately this is a very niche product, so unlikely to be something GB-PVR will have support for in the future.

GB-PVR used to support some MPEG4 devices, like the Plextor TV402u and Lifeview TV Walker, but these were buggy devices with very few users so it wasnt worth the effort.
You might try using the Graph Recorder Plugin. If you can create working graphs in graphedit you should be able to use this plugin.

Search the wiki for download.

Khaver
Until we "actually" get HD streams via the DVB-flavour that they've dreamed up across the border, I'd like to look at options to try and record my SD feeds (FTA/DSL Cable) directly to smaller file sizes, rather than MPEG2, which are averaging 4GB~6GB for most 1~2 hr shows/films.

I know I can TRANSCODE, but this is time consuming, needs a new PC and needs to be re-transcoded on the fly for the MVP.

I used to have one of those buggy Lifeview devices that did MPEG4.

So my Q is, are there ANY cards/USB devices that GBPVR supports, that will record an AVI (Xvid) or other MPEG4 file directly? If so, I might build an HTPC dowstairs and (until we get HD, and I get an HD MVP replacment like the popcorn device) circumvent the MVP to play it directly on the TV via HDMI.

Presumably GBPVR can play it back no problem?

Thanks!

k.
Quote:So my Q is, are there ANY cards/USB devices that GBPVR supports, that will record an AVI (Xvid) or other MPEG4 file directly?
No there isnt.
sub Wrote:No there isnt.

Well, that's fairly clear. Bummer. It just seems so inefficient to transcode.

k.
sub Wrote:All cards arent the same. There is quite a bit of work (days/weeks) that goes into support each family of devices. This is a new family, meaning I'd need one of the devices, and the available time, and the interest. Unfortunately this is a very niche product, so unlikely to be something GB-PVR will have support for in the future.

GB-PVR used to support some MPEG4 devices, like the Plextor TV402u and Lifeview TV Walker, but these were buggy devices with very few users so it wasnt worth the effort.

Hi,

Just revisiting this after realising that my device is using the GO7007SB chip, the same as in the Plextor devices.

Is there a recommended GB-PVR version i should use?

Im hoping that whilst support may have ceased, that i can still try to get it working to some degree.
I dont remember what release I last tested a GO7007SB device with. You can try with the current release - you might get lucky.

If your device isnt detected when you try to setup a GO7007SB capture source, you may need to add it's filtername to the go.ini file.
Pages: 1 2