NextPVR Forums

Full Version: installation notes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, could someone offer me their expertise and knowledge regarding installation of the software but also the capture card files (related to their capture card)?

I did read the notes and the wiki but I'm still somewhat confused and unclear about the steps (which is first etc.).

It's not a big deal but I will briefly describe where my confusion lies. I have downloaded most of the necessary files. I have a Hauppauge PVR 150 (1047 kit) and SA Explorer 2000 digital set top box. So, I went to the Hauppauge website and downloaded the driver and required IR files. But, I don't need everything there, do I? I will be using GB-PVR and not the WinTV software for the most part. I tried to find info explaining which parts are needed and which are mostly WinTV and not really needed. One other thing is I am unsure of which order of installation I need to use. Do I install the hauppauge drivers and the IR blaster files/programs BEFORE or AFTER I install the GB-PVR software? I'd rather do the installations correctly rather than have to uninstall anything. Also, I chose to use the Beta drivers and files from the Hauppauge website. Is this idea adequate? Perhaps, I should ask somewhere here (not necessarily this forum section) whether I should use the old files or if it's okay to use the beta.

I think most of my confusion surrounds the wiki documentation in which gb-pvr includes the setup and configuration of the pvr card (one has) but I am not sure where the programs and files from the capture card manufacturer (in this case, Hauppauge) fit in. I suspect I install these files first and then install gb-pvr?

For e.g., in 'Quickstart', I read before installing GB-PVR, I should have the pre-requisite software installed and this includes 'capture device that supports MPEG-2 encoding.' Does that imply I need the hauppauge drivers and required IR blaster files installed first? If you use the hauppauge pvr 150 card or another hauppauge card with similar setup, could you offer me the steps you took?

I am using Windows 2000. So, all steps should relate to the requirements under Windows 2000 OS.

I hope I covered everything and that this forum section is acceptable to post these concerns and questions.
IIRC

Install .net 1.1 & 2.0

Install capture card & drivers - you shouldn't need wintv (or whatever it's called), but I just went with the default (inc wintv) with no problems.

Install ir.exe (for blaster)

Install GBPVR

Run config and setup capture sources

HTH
have you looked at the wiki? there is a quickstart guide up there Smile

you dont need the drivers installed before GB-PVR, its a standalone app, and can be installed on a machine without any capture cards.

just make sure you have drivers for everything that you plan on using, and there are separate drivers for the IR blaster and IR receiver...
In the "old days", I installed the drivers, including the IR drivers along with the wintv application. This was enough to give me confidence that my hardware was working fine. I then installed gbpvr and never looked back,
Thanks, guys! Your replies are very helpful! Smile
martint123 Wrote:In the "old days", I installed the drivers, including the IR drivers along with the wintv application. This was enough to give me confidence that my hardware was working fine. I then installed gbpvr and never looked back,

Still stumbling forward a bit with GBPVR myself.
I had .NET 2 previously installed.
Upgrade my graphics card drivers to latest version.
Installed capture card (see sig.) and XP installed some drivers IIRC.
Installed GBPVR, went through config.

Could not get TV to play.

Installed WinTV and what ever drivers come with that - then worked straight way with InterVideo Video decoder.
On a 2nd Win XP Pro GBPVR client I had to use http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Dsca...ilters.htm
Dscaler Video decoder to get it to work. Could not install WinTV on this machine without the capture card installed.

I guess the issue is finding a codec that works, not all seem to.
I did load .NET 1.1 and 2.0 on a new install Win2k but I get this error on the box with the latest GBPVR, anyone know what to look for please let me know I have search MS support high and low without finding a fix. I had all this running before on Win2k but my raid took a dump so I had to rebuilt the fun stuff..:eek:

thanks
Daryl

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at Config.xfd6951461fe46d87.x1f0684532099dac8(Object xdf2e3583f942db7b, EventArgs xc4f45905cb1fc7ba)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Config
Assembly Version: 1.0.2782.16261
Win32 Version: 1.0.2782.16261
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/devnz/gbpvr/Config.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
GBPVRBackendCommon
Assembly Version: 1.0.2782.16255
Win32 Version: 1.0.2782.16255
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/devnz/gbpvr/GBPVRBackendCommon.DLL
GBPVRPublic
Assembly Version: 1.0.2763.18991
Win32 Version: 1.0.2763.18991
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/devnz/gbpvr/GBPVRPublic.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.ServiceProcess
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Data.SQLite
Assembly Version: 1.0.30.1
Win32 Version: 1.0.30.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/devnz/gbpvr/System.Data.SQLite.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
PVRDUDE,

Where what i did,

Install W2K,
Updated via Windows Update
Installed Klite Codec Pack (pemium version)
Installed all of Hauppauge software
Configured my Hauppauage card (PVR350) to channel 22 (sky box) (in wintv)
Tested in WinTV
Install .NET Framework 2.0
Installed GBPVR
Configured GBPVR in to PVR350 on Channel 22
Opened GBPVR and tested in live TV mode

... and... all working

I'd keep it simple for first couple of times, then add extras like EPG guide and IR Blasters.....

Good Luck