NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Video Card Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to this whole BYO PVR scene and I'd really like to have my own GBPVR box.  I have an old PC with an ASUS V8200 Deluxe graphics card with s-video in and out.  I have DirecTV Satalite.  So the question is will my video card work as a sufficient capture device and I could get an IR deal to control the tuner or am I going to need to get some cheap TV card with s-video in that is supported on the list?
Also I am a total video junky and have an HDTV so I'd like the best picture quality possible.  Should I envest in that XCard with composite output?  Any suggestions?
[Image: smile.gif]
Unfortunately no, that capture card isn't compatible. GB-PVR was designed to work with the MPEG2 hardware encoder cards like the Hauppauge PVR250.
Sounds like I should get the 250 or 350 then.
Unless anyone can suggest something else.
I am trying to use GBPVR with a DirecTV reciver. Any suggestions on which capture card I should pick up? My video card already has an S-video output that works pretty well.
After I pick up a compatabile capture card all I need to get is a remote deal to control the DirecTV box.
Yes, a PVR250 should do the job for your, and a USB-UIRT to control the DirecTV box.

Has anyone done any testing with ATI cards? Do any ATI cards like the AIW or E-Home wonder work with GB-PVR?
GB-PVR only works with hardware encoding Mpeg tuner cards. The best ones are the Hauppauge PVR-250, PVR-350, PVR-150, and PVR-500. The AIW cards are software encoding.
if ur a video junky... hook up the computer to the tv with the tv out and see what u think of the results.

if u like it then go ahead and purchase the pvr 250 and you will be set.

perhaps its a good idea to get the pvr 250 test the system get it up and running then mvoe onto a a nicer tv out

through my research it seems like the pvr250/350 are the best solution for capture cards. Most support and most applications.
Even if you dont like the output of the VGA card, you can purchase a MediaMVP for the price difference of a PVR-250 and a PVR-350. This way the computer does not need to be next to the TV and will cut down the fan noise with the PC there.
Even better the PVR-150 works like the 250 for under $100.00 sub has tested it and will have the remote control working for the 150 and 500 in the next release.
anyone know a good cheap gfx card with good svideo out? i have a radeon ve and tried using tvout on that instead of the pvr350, but the mpeg stream was jerky etc. thought was my decoder, tried a couple, found out its my crappy video card. so does anyone know a good one? ati/nvidia? that can handle mpeg2 well, and svideo doesnt look dottie? (radeon ve you can see dots everywhere, its rubbish, rca looks better than svideo on it.)