NextPVR Forums

Full Version: I'm I missing something or is there a better way...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been using my MVP for a while and it wasn't till recently that I decided to use the GB-PVR interface, the problem I got is, I hope correctable by automation.

I did the typical set up, Disable GB-PVR service, run the MVP and after it establishes a connection, power off via remote, then disable MVP Services and re-enable GB-PVR services. This method works fine.

But the problem is if by some strange chance the PC crashes, restarts or is hut down while the MVP is on or someone turns on the MVP without the PC on then I have to go through the whole services setup process again. Its not hard for me, just irritating. But try to explain how to fix it to my wife.

Did I fail to set up the MVP correctly or like halfway? I typically keep the PC in Hibernation when its not in use.

Is there a plug-in or script that can run that will avoid creating the problem I have?
Thanks
Pochrist Wrote:I did the typical set up, Disable GB-PVR service, run the MVP and after it establishes a connection, power off via remote, then disable MVP Services and re-enable GB-PVR services. This method works fine.
I'm not sure if there is something special about your networking setup that means you need to do this, but most people dont do anything like this. Instead they just set the 'number of servers to autostart' setting in the config app to 1 or more, and GB-PVR takes care of the rest, including when booting up an MVP after power outage etc.
The only thing I can think of is that your are missing a DHCP server. Which I think is included with the Hauppauge software, but not GBPVR. Most folk rely on one from their routers.

Martin
I have the same issue (especially after a power outage), but I believe its because I use a direct connect through a cross over cable instead of through a router with my MVP. I go through the same steps to reconnect. Hope this helps. Its frustrating (especially when it does it to my wife), but I have come to accept it as the norm. if there is a better way, i would love the input.
Yea I believe that explains it, I use a crossover cable, at the time i started useing it I just used Wifi for internet needs, since then I've run a Cat 5 cable down to the TV (I hate Wifi on a desktop PC) I also put in a switch and a Wireless access point (for use with my wifes laptop outside).
I could probably just plug into the switch now (which is plugged into a router upstairs). But i think I'll be taking a performance hit since the signal will have travel through the router upstairs (I assume) or will it just use the switch by the TV?
Pochrist Wrote:Yea I believe that explains it, I use a crossover cable, at the time i started useing it I just used Wifi for internet needs, since then I've run a Cat 5 cable down to the TV (I hate Wifi on a desktop PC) I also put in a switch and a Wireless access point (for use with my wifes laptop outside).
I could probably just plug into the switch now (which is plugged into a router upstairs). But i think I'll be taking a performance hit since the signal will have travel through the router upstairs (I assume) or will it just use the switch by the TV?

You should not have to worry about a performance hit.

Internet >> router
PC >> router
MVP >> Long cat5 cable >> router
wifi access point >> router

In this case, the MVP won't even be touching nor needing the internet.

Hope this works for you
I thought the dongle on MVP not be affected by PC at all unless the MVP unplug the power. Perhaps trying with the mvpmc dongle might be better in this case.

The simplest solution is to get a cheap router, so it can do DHCP and assign IP to MVP.

Dan L.
Quote:The simplest solution is to get a cheap router, so it can do DHCP and assign IP to MVP.

I could do that too I have 2 old but functional 4 port routers, I could simply swap out the switch by the TV with a router.
Pochrist Wrote:I could do that too I have 2 old but functional 4 port routers, I could simply swap out the switch by the TV with a router.

You probably want the router closer to the computer. Either way, you will NEED both the computer and the MVP using the router. That way, they will be in the same IP range...
The difference between the GBPVR and Hauppauge servers is the Hauppauge server includes a bootp server to get an IP address when DHCP isn't available. If you don't want to rely on the ugly two step process you must have DHCP supplied somewhere typically via a dedicated router or in cross connect environment software such as Turbo DHCP or Windows Internet Connectiion Sharing enabled.

mvpmc won't help too much since it won't even load via bootp. However mvpmc will simply go to its main menu rather then constantly trying to connect to the server, if the server crashes. Regardless of which dongle you use, if the power to the mvp is disconnected, the MediaMVP firmware will try to locate a new dongle when the power comes up.

Martin
Pages: 1 2