NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New MVP user, need some help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all - added a wired MVP to my setup last night and had some questions.

The picture is superb! Even just using the yellow RCA video cable, it looks fabulous. Why can't my GBPVR picture be this good Sad. I'm tempted to get another MVP for our main TV just because of the jump in quality.

I added a Buffalo wireless router to my existing wired network, with a Zyxel setup as a bridge and the MVP connected to that. It worked just fine testing with all the pieces in the same room. Then for the big test - I moved the bridge and MVP upstairs to our bedroom TV. Initial testing was good, the first time I tried live TV I got sound and a still picture. But I went back to the menu and tried a recording and it was perfect. Went back to LiveTV and it was fine too. Weee!

So 30mins later, the wife wants to see my handywork, but now whenever I select anything on the menu the MVP jumps back to "connecting to server" screen. It does this for 3-5 minutes, and I get the menu again. I can navigate the menu, but selecting anything causes this loop again. Any idea what might cause this? My guess would be the network signal strength?

When it was working - is there a way to jump to a channel #? I tried from the TVGuide and from LiveTV, but it doesn't seem to work. In LiveTV, I had it on channel 6, and I wanted to jump to channel 500. I push "500" on the remote, the numbers show up on the screen, but then nothing happens. I was looking for an enter key or something on the remote that I missed, but didn't see one.

Thanks!!
Quote:The picture is superb! Even just using the yellow RCA video cable, it looks fabulous. Why can't my GBPVR picture be this good.
I know what your mean. After playing around with PC video for so long it still surprises me how good the video is coming out of the MVP.

Quote:I added a Buffalo wireless router to my existing wired network, with a Zyxel setup as a bridge and the MVP connected to that. It worked just fine testing with all the pieces in the same room. Then for the big test - I moved the bridge and MVP upstairs to our bedroom TV. Initial testing was good, the first time I tried live TV I got sound and a still picture. But I went back to the menu and tried a recording and it was perfect. Went back to LiveTV and it was fine too. Weee!

So 30mins later, the wife wants to see my handywork, but now whenever I select anything on the menu the MVP jumps back to "connecting to server" screen. It does this for 3-5 minutes, and I get the menu again. I can navigate the menu, but selecting anything causes this loop again. Any idea what might cause this? My guess would be the network signal strength?
I'm also guessing wireless is your problem. I'm one of the tinfoil hat brigade though, that doesnt have a single wireless device and no plans to add one, so I'm not a great person to help you through that. I'd try a network cable to see if it helps. Big Grin

Quote:When it was working - is there a way to jump to a channel #? I tried from the TVGuide and from LiveTV, but it doesn't seem to work. In LiveTV, I had it on channel 6, and I wanted to jump to channel 500. I push "500" on the remote, the numbers show up on the screen, but then nothing happens. I was looking for an enter key or something on the remote that I missed, but didn't see one.
In the current release there is a bug that means you need to press OK after the channel number. I've fixed this for the next release.
Thanks for the info Sub!

I have some more details.

I moved the antennae on my 2 wireless connections to point more towards each other. My signal strength is 58-65 (is this reasonable? or poor?).

I am able to watch recorded shows, no problem. Watched an entire Family Guy episode, used FF and pause.. everything is cool.

But when I try to watch LiveTV or even load the TVGuide, the MVP drops to the "Establishing connection" screen. I also saw a message saying unable to connect to GUI or somesuch.

I checked my MVP logs, and here is the error it records:
2007-08-08 18:25:42.283 VERBOSE [6] TVGuide.GetRenderList() complete
2007-08-08 18:25:42.353 VERBOSE [6] Y/Y2 buffer: 22095 bytes
2007-08-08 18:25:42.353 ERROR [6] handleMVPConnection() exception: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2007-08-08 18:25:42.363 VERBOSE [6] at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xcca58d4608994dd8(Point x557cda7ca079f710, Rectangle x19534874af95b268, Bitmap x84901bd355736ef6, Boolean x484012b92f24af4e)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xe75b6be209ce111f(Image x84901bd355736ef6)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()

Looks like a standard error from losing network connection?

If so, my next step will be to try and strengthen my wireless connectivity. Unfortunately using wireless is my only option atm, so I need to get this to work...
Interesting... I read on the shspvr mediaMVP forum some people had success after turning off encryption. So I did that, and wallah!, liveTV and TVGuide seem to work ok now.

I then set my main wireless router that the bridge is connected to - to only allow a client with the MAC address of the bridge. I wonder if this is ok.