NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP "no network" logo after resume from standby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have recently changed my setup to have the MVP and server in the same room, linked by a crossover cable. I had originally intended to have the TV directly connected to the PC, but the picture quality was very poor (S-video cable from ATI 9100IGP, or ATI 7000 AGP). Anyhow, I now have the MVP working and the computer is setup to go into standby occasionally, all working well, except that when the computer wakes up, and is working fine, the MVP shows the little icon on the top left of the screen indicating no network connection. The only remedy is to disconnect the power from the MVP and restart it. I cannot even turn it off with the remote. I assume that the MVP is looking for a server while the PC is in standby, but why does it not detect it when it resumes?

Thanks,

Ro
ro76 Wrote:Hi,

I have recently changed my setup to have the MVP and server in the same room, linked by a crossover cable. I had originally intended to have the TV directly connected to the PC, but the picture quality was very poor (S-video cable from ATI 9100IGP, or ATI 7000 AGP). Anyhow, I now have the MVP working and the computer is setup to go into standby occasionally, all working well, except that when the computer wakes up, and is working fine, the MVP shows the little icon on the top left of the screen indicating no network connection. The only remedy is to disconnect the power from the MVP and restart it. I cannot even turn it off with the remote. I assume that the MVP is looking for a server while the PC is in standby, but why does it not detect it when it resumes?

Thanks,

Ro

This is quite a common issue when someone tries to use a crossover cable.

Basically, the MVP and the PC need to have IP addresses within the same IP range.

In order for the MVP to 'pull' an IP from the same range as the PC, you have to have a DHCP server running on your 'network'...

Again there are several options, but I find them all too tedious to mention when the solution is a simple cheap router. 20-40 dollars

You connect both the PC and the MVP to the router, keep the router powered up, and then both devices will always be good to go. You use only Straight Cables with this setup.

If you have the internet for your computer, you would connect the internet from your modem into the router also. Usually the Internet or WAN port...

Inherently, a router acts as a firewall too, so that's an extra bonus..
Thanks for the reply. I had overcome the dhcp issues by enabling internet connection sharing, it just seems that the MVP locks up when the computer goes into standby. I'm trying to have as few pieces of equipment turned on, so adding a router defeats the purpose of the current setup. If it must be that way, well I suppose I'll have to do it.

Ro
ro76 Wrote:Thanks for the reply. I had overcome the dhcp issues by enabling internet connection sharing, it just seems that the MVP locks up when the computer goes into standby. I'm trying to have as few pieces of equipment turned on, so adding a router defeats the purpose of the current setup. If it must be that way, well I suppose I'll have to do it.

Ro

The MVP really benefits from having a DHCP server always connected to it, not just whenever the PC(with ICS) is on...
You might want to check if the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is enabled/disabled for the NIC.
(powermanagement tab of the NIC properties)

I share Zehd's opinion on having a router is one of the (almost) bare necessities. I won't/can't live without mine, makes life a whole lot easier !
ro76 Wrote:Thanks for the reply. I had overcome the dhcp issues by enabling internet connection sharing, it just seems that the MVP locks up when the computer goes into standby. I'm trying to have as few pieces of equipment turned on, so adding a router defeats the purpose of the current setup. If it must be that way, well I suppose I'll have to do it.

Ro

ICS should provide enough dhcp service for this setup, although there could be a problem after 8 hours when the dhcp renew gets issued. If you want to try with the mvpmc dongle, I can see if I can help.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=25206

Martin
SuMo Wrote:You might want to check if the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is enabled/disabled for the NIC.
(powermanagement tab of the NIC properties)

I share Zehd's opinion on having a router is one of the (almost) bare necessities. I won't/can't live without mine, makes life a whole lot easier !

I think that SuMo is onto something with the NIC properties. If the NIC in your PC is powering down when the PC goes into standby, then the MVP will think that it's network cable just got unplugged. Ethernet "chats" (for lack of a better term) continuously to keep tabs on the status of the network. When the NIC no longer sees any traffic for a specific period of time, it assumes that it has been disconnected from the network.

If your MVP were plugged into a live port on a router or switch at all times, then it would still "see" its connection to that port, even when the host PC is turned off. But using just a crossover cable means that the host PC has to maintain a connection between it and the MVP or the MVP will choke. Sad Perhaps a BIOS setting for the NIC can keep it alive enough to keep the connection alive.

You can see the same effect in Windows if you unplug the network cable from a PC. A popup occurs almost instantly, alerting you that the network connection has been lost. However, Windows keeps watching for the connection to be re-established and will auto-magically reconnect to the network when it becomes available again. It would seem that the MVP is unable to perform the latter step.