NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP + HDMI output/input + new LCD = Puzzle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, so I bought an LCD HD TV.

I understand it has up-conversion to 1080p and that SD DVD's look good on it as a result, so "apparently" I don't need to buy an up-conversion DVD player EXCEPT for said players HDMI interface, which apparently reduces the loss of PQ you get with Analog (or even S-Video)?

However I want to use GBPVR and I want to plug the MVP into it (at elast for now)
  • 1st off, I'm new at HD and HDMI. If I plug MVP Svideo out =>LCD, I will get an "OK" but not "great" picture right? Will it upcovert?
  • Is there any way (mod or hack) to go MVP=>LCDTV via HDMI? Is HDMI "that good"?
  • Is there a device DIFFERENT from the MVP, which would do this?
  • Can you run really LONG HDMI cables to the TV? (lets say I bought a Video Card with HDMI for my PC upstairs) or is there a Network Device with converts Cat5 to HDMI output through a wee box like the MVP?
  • At SOME stage I guess an HTPC PC with HDMI or at least DVI (For a DVI=>HDMI Converter) will be the best solution?
Ta!
k.
1the picture will be as good as the signal
2there is not point changing the signal back to digital(hdmi)once its been analog(svideo)well not cheaply anyway no little box will do it
long runs of hdmi will either work or it wont. Been digital you dont get cross talk like you do with analog causing colour mixing, funny shapes
with digital you either get one or zero
you can get repeaters that are powered and can extend it to 60 meters so they reckon
dvi and hdmi are the same signal
but a client pc is what you should be thinking really
stustunz Wrote:1the picture will be as good as the signal
2there is not point changing the signal back to digital(hdmi)once its been analog(svideo)well not cheaply anyway no little box will do it

Cheers for that. Yeah I know crap out can't be improved, I was sort of thinking of something you hack into the MVP BEFORE it comes out the SVideo port i.e. when it's still digital ... or a device that CAN do this :-) (other than a PC).

k.
not with the functions like tv guide
As for long cables I use a DVI to HDMI cable 15 m long without the slightest problem. However....

What I found out is that avouding "double scaling" is the most important thing to get right. My LCD-TV set got 1366 x 768 (or something like that) which is not a standard HD def. When using the HDMI cable the TV set refuses to use its native res and wants one of the standard HD resolutions. I then changed the DVI to HDMI cable for standard VGA outputting the native res of the pannel with much much better picture quality (VGA cable is 15 m too).
Cheers Koenie

Hmm.. as luck would have it, mine's also 1366x768.
How can they all make such an odd size?

k.
No idea where the size comes from but check your manual before buying an expensive HDMI cable.

And maybe to add the best picture I get is analogue capture with GBPVR and playing trough the VGA connection. Anything else is worse even my digital cable box (unfortunately here in the Netherlands we cant capture digitally as its all scrambled)
if you jump upto true high res then the problem goes away but so does half your bank balance
YEP

Well mine is a little over a year old now. At that time full HD was hardly available anyway and now its at least twice as expensive with hardly any full HD content being available I find it a waste of money. Moreover standard def video will not look any better on a full HD so I rather save the money and buy a full HD when technology has crystalised a bit more.