NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Help me build a stand alone box from scratch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In talking with sub and others in the other thread, it seems there is a general concensus as to what a good system would be.

This will be my first PVR (but not my first built computer, I have lots of experience with that), so I'm putting this out there to see if anyone knows of a good hardware setup.

First a foremost, I'd like it to be mini-itx, or failing that as small as possible. This is going to be a stand alone box in a rack along with the stereo, video game consoles, etc. I plan to make it boot up to GB-PVR from startup so it goes right into 'Tivo' mode, since I will not be using the computer for anything but a PVR, and maybe some MP3 playing.

I don't really like the cube cases that are out there, and prefer a more standard desktop looking size. I'd like to be able to contain a 3.5" HD as I'd like to keep costs down.

Which brings me to my third and final condition. Since I'm only going to be using this as a PVR/MP3 player, I'd like to get away with the most cost-effective setup I can. I'm not concerned about games, or simultanious background programs running.

Based on what was said in the Via EPIA M series thread, what if i went with a mini-itx p4 board with a celeron 2.4 ghz and a pvr-350? Could i get away with less and have good performance? Any suggestions as to specific cases, boards, or setups?

Any input is much appreciated.

When I built my PVR. I wanted it to be as cheap as possible. I also wanted it to be silent. It also had to fit under my TV.

I looked at the mini-itx format but decided that it was a bit pricey and lacked in expansion. I was also concerned about the problems people where experienceing with stablitly and the poor TV out. I therefore went with the following. Most of it was 2nd hand off ebay.

Samcheer SC-101 Silver Tiny Tower Case £39.00
FIC FS35 Socket 370 motherboard £12.00
VIA C3 1.2 gig £18.00
512 SDRAM £40
Seagate 7000.7 120gig hard drive £70
Radeon 7000 £23
PVR 250 £90

It not silent but it is quiet having only the PSU fan. It runs 24/7 as a PVR I also have overnet running on it as well. I have absolutely no problems with it.

I not saying my set up is ideal for everyone but what I would say is that you don't need to spend big bucks or have a top of the range PC to get a perfectly serviceable PVR.

Good luck
it would be nice if you had a spare 5.25" bay so if you want to make your hdd silent you can. (all the hdd silent thingy only fit 5.25&quotWink. speed should be considered, if you want to do comskip etc, or convert to xvid. celeron are good, cheap, and have good speeds on video. if you get a celeron get a celeron d (faster than the normal ones). and get a cpu fan to replace the one that comes with it, only thing in my pc that makes any noise. silence is the key.

other things huge hdd, 350 is good (does have problems with tvout, hopefully will be fixed, but might not be). 256mb ram you can get away with, if you want to save a few bucks, 512 is just safer (im running 256 and having no real problems, will get 512 but not for a while yet)
try looking at microAtx boards instead of mini-itx, you can get a MB+CPU for a lot less than the cost of the P4-itx on it's own, and can choose Celeron/P4 or AMD, and there are some very nice cases, it is the same as all other computer decisions, How much do you want to spend? this will totally dictate what you can buy.
If I may be so bold, I’d like to present an alternative setup for you to consider that may save you some money:

Get a MediaMVP so you don’t need to have the PC close to the TV. You save money even though you need to spend $90 or so on the MVP – Here is how:

You can get a less expensive capture card since you don’t need a decoder in the card. The savings there will probably pay for the MVP.

Since the computer can be out of sight you don’t need a fancy case or to make extra efforts to make it quiet.

Of course, this all depends on being able to get a network connection to the MVP.
How about an Asus Pundit-R?

- It's quiet
- It doesn't look like a PC; but fits well between other audio and video stuff
- Considering what's onboard it isn't that expensive.

I'm very happy with it
Remco,

I am just about to build my Pundit any recommendations? What do you have in yours?

Paul
Paul,

My Pundit-R has:
- a Celeron D 2.4 Ghz
- 2 x 256 MB DDR 400Mhz
- 160 Gb HD Western Digital
- PVR250
- a noname-soundcard

My TV is connected by a VGA-to-SCART cable (more info). Great quality!
I don't use the onboard soundcard because it refuses to make any sound after standby-wakeup. Until Asus releases new drivers; i put in an extra soundcard.

It all works like a charm.