NextPVR Forums

Full Version: a matter of RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
im running a celeron d 330 with 256 ram, and most of the time it seems to be enough, but i just got my pvr-350 (and running, different storySmile) and well changing channels and sometime the popups (miniguide, menu etc) seems to take a while 2-5 seconds, not a long time but slow still. i was just wondering if getting another 256meg would improve this proformance, and if so by how much?, most of the ram is in use now when running gbpvr.

cheers
reven
changing channel is slow in GBPVR, but shouldn't be slow in the Hauppauge software. If you're experiencing it in both then it is the computer's fault. TBH my phone (p900) is faster than your computer (dual 200Mhz proccessors) and I'm suprised that everything else on it seems to run OK. I wouldn't bother picking up some more ram for it - you could buy a computer with more than ten times the spec for about £300...

fini
cheers fini, ill put it to the bottom of my list.
A faster computer would definitly help. At those speeds, it'll be quite sluggish generating menus and OSD.
First: Isn´t the celeron d330 running at 2,6 ghz? Maybe you are thinking a celeron2 300 mhz.

Anyway I have a p3 933/133 with 256mb ram and I am also suffer from sluggish menu switching. I recently upgraded from a celeron 800mhz and I think maybe its a bit better now. I am just wondering if my computer is too slow? If so, my budget project is soon to be cancelled.

//Zfinxen

msi-6368, p3 933/133, 256mb, seagate 120gb, PVR350, Xcard
Ah, I didn't see the "d" and interpretted this as celeron 333mhz! Ignore my previous comments.
The Microsoft API (GDI+) I used for doing all the graphics does a good job and is easy to use, but unfortunately it requires a reasonably fast PC (it lots of antialiasing etc). I've always thought a  1Ghz P3 provides the performance required, and your 933 is pretty close so should perform OK.

sorry, didn't notice the d either... yep more ram = good idea...

fini
yeah its 2.6ghz [Image: smile.gif] ok ram moved back to the top of the list
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] (reven @ Oct. 27 2004,07:15)]im running a celeron d 330 with 256 ram, and most of the time it seems to be enough, but i just got my pvr-350 (and running, different storySmile) and well changing channels and sometime the popups (miniguide, menu etc) seems to take a while 2-5 seconds, not a long time but slow still. i was just wondering if getting another 256meg would improve this proformance, and if so by how much?, most of the ram is in use now when running gbpvr.

cheers
reven
I suspect that more memory won't make much of a difference. I am running two tuners and the total memory used by the GB-PVR related processes is less than 100 megs. Unless you have other things running on the box 256 MB is probably all you need.

The Celeron (celery as some people call it) is basically a crippled processor no matter what the clock speed. It is just a dog when significant demands are put on it.
Pages: 1 2