NextPVR Forums

Full Version: startup delay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I first start a va gui, there is this delay in displaying. But after that, it is fast, until I stop the gbpvr gui and start again. Is there a way to speed up the initial startup? Maybe do whatever you are doing when gb gui starts and not wait until Videos is clicked? I don't have'Scan for files...' checked.

Thanks,
Greg
Stuff will happen in the background if you don't click the videos button, but as I recall I wait a few minutes before kicking that off. I'll look in the code to see if I have an undocumented config setting that you can change to make it happen sooner. The reason I don't do things right away is to give GBPVR time to complete all of its initialization. I found that if I start things too earlier it caused problems. I also have slowed down how fast I do the background loading of information so as to reduce the CPU load.

Jeff
I see. Makes sense. But here with the kids, we turn on the MVP and as quick as possible, go find the kid's videos. Usually from powerup to movie is less than 15 seconds. :-)

Greg
ggee Wrote:I see. Makes sense. But here with the kids, we turn on the MVP and as quick as possible, go find the kid's videos. Usually from powerup to movie is less than 15 seconds. :-)

Greg

I got the exact same issue. I do admit to having quite a lot of recordings - but still... Sad

It's actually taking quite a while to update the list - can be up to minutes which is making it an usability issue. The delays explained above makes sense in explaining why it takes so long, but could we then have a "full speed on all engines" option - pleeease Smile

And getting the background stuff started as soon as possible would probably help as well. Maybe also configurable to cater to Quad-corers and PIII-loggers alike?

Always happy to test any interim versions if needed,

Niels
The startup delay seems buggy on my system. I got into VA and it says to "Please Wait". It'll sit there for well over a minute or two, but if I press down arrow after about 15s I get the menu. This is via an MVP.
Here's an interesting question. You mentioned that the list will be built in the background after a few minutes. I'm not sure of the MVP server architecture, but the MVP servers (pvrx2.exe) are always running in the background. Why is the list not populated while sitting there instead of waiting for an MVP to attach?

Thanks,
Greg