NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Memory usage VERY high ( >½ GB++)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Am I the only one experiencing that VA is a major memory hog?

It can esily peak at consuming 800MB :eek: :confused: just after start, until settleing at maybe using 6-700 MB on top of everything else loaded.

This has been true for a couple of versions at least, and is true for both MVP and PVRX2 (and GBPVR).

I upgraded my machine accordingly on the memory side, but it still seems much, not least when there still is lag/update delays when browsing VA.

Is this as expected or is there something rotten in my setup?

/Niels
It used to be that lists were built upon the first access, which means that directories that you never looked at would never be populated. Now I fill everything in the background, which means the UI will be faster (once the lists are filled) but more memory is used. The lag you see is probably the first time the list is being filled. Once it is filled it should be fast when you navigate back. I've found that I can run on my desktop and even though a huge amount of memory is reported as in use it doesn't seem to effect the machine's performance. I think some of this may just be due to the way .NET reports and allocates/frees memory.

Jeff
Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the reply.

It really does make sense to fill the lists immediately.

However - it seems at least as it takes quite a while every time for instance the MVP is turned on.

Would it be possible for VA to remember/cache the latest list rebuild, and then update in the background?

It would be MUCH more acceptable to have an occasional file that would not be there anyway (as if I wouldn't remember) as opposed to the slow rebuild of the list every single time. I'm guessing that 99 out of 100 times, this would be preferable.

Actually - That would be really nice Big Grin

The memory use is no real issue to me anyway (as I got plenty). Still it seemed/seems odd that so much is used, so I figured something was broken.

/Niels
Right now each instance of GBPVR/PVRX2 has its own copy of all the lists. That manes each MVP has its own set. it would be more efficient to have one but that would be a bigger change since I'd have to create some sort of information server that all instances on a machine could talk to go get information. I'll think about this as a long-term change.

VA does remember the cache (more or less) in the VA database. it just takes time to pull all the information out and build the lists. Its not a lot of time per list/file, but if you have thousands of files in tens or hundreds of directories (like I do) it does take a while for all of them to load serially. I may add an option to allow loading in parallel up to some configurable number of simultaneous loads.

Jeff
Jeff Wrote:Right now each instance of GBPVR/PVRX2 has its own copy of all the lists.
I figured that it was something like this. Tried earlier to have the machine prebuild the list for the MVP to no avail.

Jeff Wrote:(...) I'll think about this as a long-term change.
Sounds great - that would probably allow for you to make VA a true killer plugin without the few issues it currently has. Must be some work to get there though. Looking forward to it.

Jeff Wrote:I may add an option to allow loading in parallel up to some configurable number of simultaneous loads.
That would undoubtedly be a very nice shortterm patch. So please ...Big Grin

/Niels